sub+amp help

phi1542

Reaction score
hi im new to this whole audio thing and i need help. i saw these pioneers for sale for $40 and they seemed pretty good for the price but im not sure what amp to match it up with. btw im only buying 1 sub. these are the subs and amp:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...ofer/5700917.p?id=1218682375383&skuId=5700917

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14637_Power-Acoustik-BAMF-1250-2-BAMF1250-2.html

any suggestions, comments, help pleaseeee. oh yea what kind of enclosure should i get for it too? sealed, ported/vent, or bandpass

Brimstone Brown

Reaction score
It really all depends on what you want your system to be able to do. I'm in the process of upgrading my stock sound also. What is currently in your car?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Although I can not agree with their quality I will go along with it.

Basically what you have there is a 12" sub with two voice coils that run a 2 ohms. The sub will run 400 watts rms (normal operating) at 2 ohms.

The amp is a two channel which is for powering two subs or two speakers. Since you have one you will need to bride the amp. This will however only allow you to run the amp stably at 4 ohms. The plus however is that bridged it will put out 560 watts rms.

I would suggest getting a different amp, preferably a mono amp (single channel).

For a box, I would recommend a ported box with at least 1.5 cubic feet. This is a good candidate here.

Assuming you keep the equipment you plan on, this is how you will wire it.

First, wire the amp to the car (power to battery, ground to solid ground, remote turn on, RCA's from headunit). Next, to wire the amp to one channel or bridge the amp, you will run the positive from once channel and the negative from the other. If you are facing the terminals on the amp, there will be 4. From left to right we'll number them 1 2 3 4. So you would run 1 as the positive to sub, and the 4 to the subs negative.

Wiring the sub is simple and this applies to any dual voice coil (DVC) sub. On the sub, there will be two terminals with +/-. Connect the positive of on terminal, to the positive on the other. And, likewise, the negative on one to the other. Then connect the +/- of either terminal to the correct places on the box's interior terminal. Mount the sub after that is completed.

Finally run the positive and negative from the amp, wires 1 and 4 respectively, to the box's terminal. Wire +>+ and ->- of course. Use speaker wire the wire the sub an amp up.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask here or message me at anytime.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
For $40 that is about as much sub as you could hope to get. And it is dual 2ohm. So if you wire it in series (4ohm) it will work with any amp. I don't know anything about Power Acoustik, but I bet you can find a better amp on CL or at Sonic. Something class D, mono, and 1 ohm stable would help if you ever add another sub. Maybe this: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63976_Pioneer-GM-D8601.html

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Didn't think to wire it in series.

OP to clarify to wire the sub to 4 ohm you connect the positive and negative on the same terminal on the sub. Then + to + and - to - from sub to amp.

But like above. A class D and mono amp would be your best bet. That brand is, okay. Better can be had, but for the money it is not terrible.

phi1542

Reaction score
I have stock tweeters but the door speakers and and rears are aftermarket. I'm not sure what's the model or watts of them though. And so it would be better to get a monoclass amp? That pioneer mono amp looks pretty good. Any other options for amps? Also right now the wiring is not right I don't think. It's been that way since I got the car. The tweeters are not working cuz I don't the fronts are wired. And the doors and rears are all wired to the rears so I have no fader. I have a Kenwood KAC-6401 Amp right now for my speakers. It's 325 watt max. What can I get as a amp? Do i have 2 separate amps for sub and speakers? I'm already wired to battery and all that. It's just not wired correctly I don't think because fronts ddon't work. No idea

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Okay.

So you have a 4 channel amp, I presume, for your speakers. Back track wiring to see why they are not working correctly.

You should have a separate amp for your sub. You should find a mono amp that has around 400 watt rms rating, preferably at 2 ohms. The headunit should have at least one pre-amp output and one sub pre-amp output.

phi1542

Reaction score
Okay.

So you have a 4 channel amp, I presume, for your speakers. Back track wiring to see why they are not working correctly.

You should have a separate amp for your sub. You should find a mono amp that has around 400 watt rms rating, preferably at 2 ohms. The headunit should have at least one pre-amp output and one sub pre-amp output.

Ok would that pioneer amp be good? And is the Kenwood fine for the speakers?

Back