Subwoofer works but turns off after a while

Drew707

Reaction score
So my subwoofer worked fine but now it will work wen i start my car then it turns off after driving for a while. My amp is pretty old maybe 10 years sony xplod with 1 12 jl sub.

Slowfinger

Reaction score
Sounds like the amp can't handle the wattage and just cuts out, is it hot? Like Jordan_H said, try out a new amp. :)

lashlee

Reaction score
It could be many issues, and depending on your setup I would look at doing some testing before you start swapping equipment. I would verify how much voltage you have at the amp, check it when you first start the car and when you are having the issue. I would also see if the resistance of the sub changes drastically when you slowly move the cone. My first guess is that your sub is going bad and that the voice coil has started to unwind. If you don't have the proper test equipment I would look into swapping the sub first since it's easier to swap two wires instead of the 7+ associated with the amp.

flowhard

Reaction score
Mine used to do the same thing, but mine was a short inside the box. Like stated above, it could be a lot of things... Just take your time and check everything

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Digital Volt-Ohm Meter

measure sub resistance, measure a/c &d/c voltage (on), puch on cone listen/feel noises
measure amp input/output a/c &d/c voltage, resistance

Sears Craftsman Digital VOM $20 most fun/learning/value EV4R

ujinyuki

Reaction score
if your amp has a protect mode light then try to see if its on when the sub stops playing... if it does then there may be many causes to trigger that... check wirings of amp to sub if it is still solid, check power cables if it is still solid... if yes then its an internal problem with your amp (hope this helps)

HotboxF23

Reaction score
So my subwoofer worked fine but now it will work wen i start my car then it turns off after driving for a while. My amp is pretty old maybe 10 years sony xplod with 1 12 jl sub.

I was having the same issue in my old altima my problem was that i was putting to much output from the amp and a kill switch(or something of the like) activated in the amp..causing it not to deliver power for safety reason more or less and a red light would show that said "protect" i would either check your wires or turn down the amp to see if it makes a difference..it did for me

Funny cause i had 2 12" sony Xplods and 1600w Nitro amp on a kenwod HU lol

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
If you experience that, check dc-volts, check gnd term to good(!) gnd, and + term on amp to the actual battery + (long wire req'd) might see spikes with musak blastin.

Bad wires. Use dvom for fine tuning diag.

Back