Swap Question

dv8801

Reaction score
so i swap out my ulev motor for a non ulev. i went to put the non ulev ecu on and the car wont start. my question is do i need to reflash the computer for it to read the key?

Geewiz

Reaction score
There's a lot of threads regarding the ULEV engine which I have and is therefore pointless to swap unless your ULEV died and is cheaper to just get the F23A1 non-ULEV used replacement. In that case, it's probably that the engine wiring harness is different between the two and maybe you are trying to use the same engine harness from the old ULEV engine with your non-ULEV ECU?

redlinevtec

Reaction score
so i swap out my ulev motor for a non ulev. i went to put the non ulev ecu on and the car wont start. my question is do i need to reflash the computer for it to read the key?

Just swap over your exhaust manifold/cover from your old motor to your new motor. Also your O2 sensor. Your harness is different than a regular F23A1 harness. EGR Valve is the same. And use the ULEV ECU. Even if you get the A1 ECU to work after getting it programmed for your key, your still going to have problems with the O2 sensor engine harness because its wideband and the F23A1 ECU and O2 harness is not.

dv8801

Reaction score
i swapped out the ulev cause it was dead. and the other motor was a spare i had and i rebuilt from top to bottom. i did swap over the exhaust manifold from the old motor and used the o2 sensor from old motor. im getting cel for o2 sensor. can i swap out the engine harnesses? im using the non ulev harness.

dv8801

Reaction score
my main thing is that i used the non ulev motor harness. i know the computers are different. i do have a non eluv ecu. if i get that computer flashed will o2 sensor code go off..

from what i was told that. cause i used the non eluv motor and harness that i will have to use the matching ecu which i have but i need to get flashed to read my keys. i shouldnt have a problem with the o2 sensors

dv8801

Reaction score
Just swap over your exhaust manifold/cover from your old motor to your new motor. Also your O2 sensor. Your harness is different than a regular F23A1 harness. EGR Valve is the same. And use the ULEV ECU. Even if you get the A1 ECU to work after getting it programmed for your key, your still going to have problems with the O2 sensor engine harness because its wideband and the F23A1 ECU and O2 harness is not.

i understand that. the f23a1 i had came out my old accord, so i had the complete motor and harness. i used the f23a1 harness not the ulev harness. so im trying to find out is, if i program the ecu, i shouldnt have a problem wit the o2 sensors

Geewiz

Reaction score
The non-ULEV is built for the non-ULEV wire harness. Best option: swap ULEV wire harness since you are using the ULEV wideband primary o2 sensor and keep your ULEV ECU. Nothing different with the engine itself. Everything that has to do with ULEV is: ECU, engine wire harness, cat converter, exhaust manifold, and primary o2 sensor (more sensitive wideband compared to standard). Since all the exhaust related components are still ULEV, use the ULEV ECU and engine wire harness.

Geewiz

Reaction score
kk. i will swap out the harness and see if cel will go away

When, if you haven't already, swap the wire harness, let me know your results. I may want to buy an engine that is already built instead of building mine up and its an A1 and not an A4. Thanks.

dv8801

Reaction score
When, if you haven't already, swap the wire harness, let me know your results. I may want to buy an engine that is already built instead of building mine up and its an A1 and not an A4. Thanks.

yes i did swap out the harness. and yes that fixed my problem. my check engine light went off. ive been running car now for about 5 days and no light

Back