Swapping tranny

Corey

Reaction score
Hey guys, was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what transmission I should swap over to, I'd preferably want to swap to another auto tranny (I have a 2001 3L V6 coupe) because I don't really have the money to switch over to a manual. I just want something that's not going to crap out on me again.

Any feedback helps. Thanks.

Brad2274

Reaction score
check those "jdm engine" sites, ive seen some cleean v6 auto transmission, guarenteed to work and have like 35k-55k on them, seen them for $350, that's one of the cheaper options.

nwcg3

Reaction score
You want to know which tranny to use?

Use the standard V6 one, or have yours rebuilt. You could do the Type S CL tranny, but its rare, expensive, and still prne to high heat operating temps (this is what kills our auto trannys...burns up clutches)

Unless you are needing something heavy duty or for high power, a good rebuild or a salvage yard should be good.

What is your budget? That will help determine your options.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^He said he didn't want an auto that would die again, so any V6 6GA auto trans is out, and so is any 2G CL/TL auto trans for that matter. Not sure what is involved in making other autos work.

From what I've read 2004 is suppose to be the last year for bad Honda/Acura auto transmissions. Not swapping to manual will be cheaper, but there will still be custom work involved.

Brad2274

Reaction score
shouldnt a 3g tl tranny should bolt up? youd get an extra gear, shouldnt be too expensive but youd have to do a little bit of wiring, if 3g tl's still have hydraulic controlled solenoids and such on the trannys, not electronic, then it wouldnt be very hard

KombatVirus

Reaction score
I think you should just go ahead and do the manual swap. All of these 6GA transmissions, and honda transmissions of that era generally crap out. I heard of something called a "Dr. Evil Transmission" with limited slip differential that are built like a tank, but those are way more expensive than even a manual swap! (I believe it was around $3500 )

Corey

Reaction score
Im basically looking for an alternative auto swap rather then putting another V6 6Gen tranny in. My budget is around the $2000 mark, if worse comes to worse then ill have to put in another V6 6G tranny, but id rather not do that. I called a scrapyard and they have a V6 6G tranny for $500 and i found a mechanic that will put it in for $900, putting me at a total of $1400.

Short form; Do any other auto trannys fit into a 6Gen v6 coupe that wont crap out as easily as our stock trannys?

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
^I think that all depends on custom work there. I know you can put other auto's in, but I'm pretty sure it requires a different engine/motor.

Just go manual. Much more reliable, more fun, and if you drive conservatively, better mileage.

Back