threw code P0420 bad cat

Drift

Reaction score
That will work. . . For a little while, high flow cats usually don't last very long. Just throw a non-fouler in there for now and don't bother replacing the cat. Save the $70. Clear the code afterward, if it comes back, then replace the cat.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
haha no way im not replacing it...it sounds like a bad of ****. every time i touch the gas, the pieces of catalyst fly around inside and cause quite a sound.

finch13

Reaction score
Gutting it is the same work as replacing it, except the cost differences. Might as well replace it.

Drift

Reaction score
...should i just gut it?

Replacing it with a straight pipe is a better idea, but you can gut it if you want. When gutted it creates a weird resonance, something about the expansion and immediate reduction in size. Its not too bad though, very tolerable. If you do gut it remember to replace the ring gasket in the down pipe or it will leak like a sieve and sounds like crap.

I know the exact sound you're talking about. I fried my cat spraying nitrous up a mountain in Arizona. By the time I got to Sedona, it sounded like I had bag of marbles in my exhaust.

CanadianEh48

Reaction score
what are the pros/cons of defouling my secondary O2 sensor? reduced fuel mileage? running too lean/rich? any adverse effects on performance?

Back