Tie Rod Noises

305S0L

Reaction score
I need some input from the 6GA Community. :mf_pcwhack:

Yesterday I inspected the outer tie rods on the coupe and noticed significant play on them. I could twist them clockwise and counter-clockwise which makes a tapping noise on the knuckle. This noise combined with noises I hear while driving leads me to believe the inner tie rods are also probably shot.

Ive been dealing with a power steering leak for a couple months now and have contemplated getting the entire steering rack replaced.

I'm asking input from 6GA on any experiences with a similar issue.
-Should I replace the outer tie rods and see if the noise persists?
-If the noise persists should I replace the inner tie rods?
-Or alternatively, should i just have the rack replaced since a new one will come with new inner tie rods?

WW6GAD?
(what would 6GA do) :eh:

james'99

Reaction score
I need some input from the 6GA Community. :mf_pcwhack:

Yesterday I inspected the outer tie rods on the coupe and noticed significant play on them. I could twist them clockwise and counter-clockwise which makes a tapping noise on the knuckle. This noise combined with noises I hear while driving leads me to believe the inner tie rods are also probably shot.

Ive been dealing with a power steering leak for a couple months now and have contemplated getting the entire steering rack replaced.

I'm asking input from 6GA on any experiences with a similar issue.
-Should I replace the outer tie rods and see if the noise persists?
-If the noise persists should I replace the inner tie rods?
-Or alternatively, should i just have the rack replaced since a new one will come with new inner tie rods?

WW6GAD?
(what would 6GA do) :eh:

For me, it depends. What is leaking ps fluid in that, is replacement required to repair leak?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Grab & shake the tie rod, by the inner & outer, what clunks & moves?

If it needs inner than I'd do outer too unless they are new. If it leaks from the rack...well, get one, that gets new inner, add outer...

305S0L

Reaction score
For me, it depends. What is leaking ps fluid in that, is replacement required to repair leak?

It appears to be leaking from the drivers side area of the rack where the hose meets the rack.

Grab & shake the tie rod, by the inner & outer, what clunks & moves?

If it needs inner than I'd do outer too unless they are new. If it leaks from the rack...well, get one, that gets new inner, add outer...

Thanks xci.ed6, it appears that the rack will need to be replaced. I was able to source a used one in good condition for $125.00

This job seems like it will be a pain to do :computer:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
It's not usually too bad, normally you pull them out the driver side, sometimes you can drop them.

305S0L

Reaction score
It's not usually too bad, normally you pull them out the driver side, sometimes you can drop them.

I was looking at one of Eric the car guys vids on YouTube where he shows the job on a 1999 Civic. Doesn't seem too complex, just uncomfortable lol.

http://youtu.be/aDhnrS1Y96w

and I got a quote today from a mechanic that said he would do it for $400; parts + labor included.

Weighing my options here.

305S0L

Reaction score
Update:

So after a more careful inspection I noticed that the front sway bar end links are busted and definitely need replacing. I went ahead and order a pair from a eBay for $20 and installed them today.

7d6a9a00592ca3a62a1adb7277b5a3a8.jpg

Drivers side was a piece of cake. Used some penetrating oil and let it soak for 15 mins. Used my impact gun and vice grips and it came right off.
84b009b29eabb16d5709deff08d11e50.jpg

Passenger side was a ***** lol. The top part came out easy, but the bottom got stuck. Couldn't cut it off because my dremel didn't have a cutting wheel. So I kept at it with the impact gun and more penetrating oil. I got the idea to heat up the bolt a bit with my heat gun for about 3 mins, hit it with the hammer again and presto! Sum***** came right off!

775316698d4a14943278fbfec669bdfd.jpg

6cb468d9a70d05ecc81f54c9855caac7.jpg

acae78864722a868040578b3a3e43f25.jpg

0a2e13634fbef5ddffdbd9d35d12b2b8.jpg

Went for a drive and no creaks or popping noises!
c0d0167a6e6396b39ff1d7caf9fb5489.jpg

So happy right now

Back