To let go? need help

irtiza18

Reaction score
So ive had many ups and downs with my gold 00 v6 sedan, i named it phoenix. It was badly neglected when i first got her, it had 135k and maintenance problems. I threw alot of parts at it to where it became much more better but far away to where i want it to be. And i know it also had bad bodywork done in the past around the trunk area/ bad paint job on the Drivers side. i really love the damn thing, people think its junk but its my junk. my plans is to restore the body and do the j32 swap (due to a few influential people here) and just how i want it.
my question is to you guys/ gals, how do you feel when people think its not worth it putting money towards your 6th gen cuz it looked like "crap" and do you guys think i should really keep pushing my dreams with this car?

it has its bruises from the streets of NYC, but it served me well when i drove it from LI to JFK everyday with broken engine mounts and bald tires.

604ACCORD

Reaction score
You could sell that one and put a bit more money in and buy a better shape one or you can put all the people to shame and finish the car to where you want it and be proud of what you have accomplished. Its kind of your call on that one. Some photos might help if you want real advise.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Body work takes a lot of time and money. Money that IMO I would put into other things.

the value is up to you.

I have a 95 Camry that has been dependable as hell but it's seen better days. It needs a lot of body work. But I have no other use for it now so it's going to be sold to find a rebuilt transmission for my accord.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
If you have the funds, keep it as a daily driver/beater car. Doesn't have to look pretty, all it needs to do is drive from A to B

irtiza18

Reaction score
You could sell that one and put a bit more money in and buy a better shape one or you can put all the people to shame and finish the car to where you want it and be proud of what you have accomplished. Its kind of your call on that one. Some photos might help if you want real advise.

From far away it looks good, its only if you get up close you see the scratches and such and small door dings. the only rust is literally the hood. but ill try to get photos in here.

irtiza18

Reaction score
If you have the funds, keep it as a daily driver/beater car. Doesn't have to look pretty, all it needs to do is drive from A to B

Body work takes a lot of time and money. Money that IMO I would put into other things.

the value is up to you.

I have a 95 Camry that has been dependable as hell but it's seen better days. It needs a lot of body work. But I have no other use for it now so it's going to be sold to find a rebuilt transmission for my accord.

Youre right. the value is upto me, this is my daily and funds arent there for another car. i believe that i should work with what i have now and make it. and mechanically its running great!

Trippinsolzz

Reaction score
Yea I would buy another 6th gen body work is a big Nono and make sure it doesn't have rust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SupraGuy

Reaction score
As enthusiasts, we often attribute far more value to a car than it's actually worth. Body work is expensive, that's just a fact. Unless you can do it yourself, chances are very good that there's no way that it will ever be worth doing.

Years ago, I started with cars that weren't worth a lot of money, and I spent far more than they were worth on materials and tools to do my own body work. I knew that the car "wasn't worth saving" but I went ahead and did it anyway, so that now when I have a car that is worth saving, I can do it.

Well, except that with a rational analysis, the newer car isn't really worth it, either. It's either worth it to have a body shop do it (Typically because the damage is insured) or it's not really worth doing because another one can be found in better condition.

Really though, who cares about a rational analysis. My car is my hobby, so I will spend the time to do things to it.

So I would say that doing the body work is probably not worthwhile. I'm sure that there are more cars out there like mine, which look okay, and just need "simple" work (Like the fender that I replaced) and are cheaply available (I paid $200) which will give a much better return on investment.

If you want to learn to do body work, then this is a good chance, but be warned, the car will not increase in value if you do it, and may actually decrease, depending on how well you do. Same with the motor swap. It probably will not increase the value to another person, and may even lower it, because someone can no longer just go to a shop and have them find parts by VIN number.

If this car is your daily driver, and you do not have funds available for another car, you do not have funds to "fix this one up." Unless you can afford to be entirely without a car, your priority must be maintenance and upkeep of the car you have, as it is. Body work (Beyond basic safety) is a luxury, and one that will eat money like nobody's business.

The whole reason that I have an Accord is because I need it in order to be able to do fun things to my Supra. I won't be able to do fun things to the Accord unless I have something else that I can drive.

As a younger person, I did "fix up" my daily driver. It's a slow experience, since I could never do anything that had the car out of commission for more than the weekend, often not more than one day. I ended up doing the same job 3 times, because I had to put it back together before I got to everything that needed to be done, and needed it to get to work Monday. So I fixed up the body panels. Drove the car in primer for a while. Then sanded off the primer because it was too dirty, and got a bit of surface rust, and primered it again, and painted with spray bombs. Then sanded that down, re-did some of the bodywork that I'd rushed through, and spray bombed it again. Then one more time when I could get good paint. In total, I probably could have bought new fenders and hood, and had the whole car painted at a shop for the same total money. Either way, it probably would have cost the same to just look for another car in better condition.

So if you're asking if you should just let go, the answer is probably yes. I know that you have an emotional attachment to the car, that's the nature of an enthusiast. That's worth something. Keep the car, keep it in decent mechanical condition so that you can continue to drive it for as long as you can. If in the future finances permit you to have a "beater" that you can drive while you fix this one up, then go for it. Until then, either wait, or go looking for another car that you'll love just as much.

irtiza18

Reaction score
As enthusiasts, we often attribute far more value to a car than it's actually worth. Body work is expensive, that's just a fact. Unless you can do it yourself, chances are very good that there's no way that it will ever be worth doing.

Years ago, I started with cars that weren't worth a lot of money, and I spent far more than they were worth on materials and tools to do my own body work. I knew that the car "wasn't worth saving" but I went ahead and did it anyway, so that now when I have a car that is worth saving, I can do it.

Well, except that with a rational analysis, the newer car isn't really worth it, either. It's either worth it to have a body shop do it (Typically because the damage is insured) or it's not really worth doing because another one can be found in better condition.

Really though, who cares about a rational analysis. My car is my hobby, so I will spend the time to do things to it.

So I would say that doing the body work is probably not worthwhile. I'm sure that there are more cars out there like mine, which look okay, and just need "simple" work (Like the fender that I replaced) and are cheaply available (I paid $200) which will give a much better return on investment.

If you want to learn to do body work, then this is a good chance, but be warned, the car will not increase in value if you do it, and may actually decrease, depending on how well you do. Same with the motor swap. It probably will not increase the value to another person, and may even lower it, because someone can no longer just go to a shop and have them find parts by VIN number.

If this car is your daily driver, and you do not have funds available for another car, you do not have funds to "fix this one up." Unless you can afford to be entirely without a car, your priority must be maintenance and upkeep of the car you have, as it is. Body work (Beyond basic safety) is a luxury, and one that will eat money like nobody's business.

The whole reason that I have an Accord is because I need it in order to be able to do fun things to my Supra. I won't be able to do fun things to the Accord unless I have something else that I can drive.

As a younger person, I did "fix up" my daily driver. It's a slow experience, since I could never do anything that had the car out of commission for more than the weekend, often not more than one day. I ended up doing the same job 3 times, because I had to put it back together before I got to everything that needed to be done, and needed it to get to work Monday. So I fixed up the body panels. Drove the car in primer for a while. Then sanded off the primer because it was too dirty, and got a bit of surface rust, and primered it again, and painted with spray bombs. Then sanded that down, re-did some of the bodywork that I'd rushed through, and spray bombed it again. Then one more time when I could get good paint. In total, I probably could have bought new fenders and hood, and had the whole car painted at a shop for the same total money. Either way, it probably would have cost the same to just look for another car in better condition.

So if you're asking if you should just let go, the answer is probably yes. I know that you have an emotional attachment to the car, that's the nature of an enthusiast. That's worth something. Keep the car, keep it in decent mechanical condition so that you can continue to drive it for as long as you can. If in the future finances permit you to have a "beater" that you can drive while you fix this one up, then go for it. Until then, either wait, or go looking for another car that you'll love just as much.

I agree on some points that you have gave out, I believe it will take slow time to get the car transformed where i am financially stable and i can just do almost about anything to it. Yea I do have an emotional attachment to this car due to its Rigorous durability to keep going on worn parts. I know i can keep going and build this car no matter what anyone says, but thanks for your input :) Its a slow journey. just needed the motivation here!

irtiza18

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's opinions, it was bit nervous to ask about this topic. but i knw where i stand with this. Thanks!

Back