T'shooting Transmission Solenoid Assembly

Discussion in 'Accord Tech' started by lothian, Dec 4, 2018.

  1. lothian

    lothian Active Member

    Posts:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    NC
    I’m working through the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly test procedure listing in the Honda Service Manual (HSM), followed by the Lock-up Control Solenoid Valve - Shift Control Solenoid Valve A Assembly test. My question concerns resistance readings on one of the assemblies.

    HSM lists normal resistance for both assemblies. The resistance on the lock-up control solenoid valve is well inside the acceptable range. However, resistance of the a/t clutch pressure control solenoid valve a/b is ~6Ω on both solenoids—HSM says it should be 5Ω.

    I interpret ~6Ω resistance across both solenoids in the a/t clutch pressure control solenoid valve a/b assembly as high, and I was about to order a replacement. But it’s only ~1Ω over spec and I’d hate to order a part that doesn’t require replacement.

    Thought? Opinions?
     
  2. qball

    qball Member

    Posts:
    9
    Likes Received:
    0
    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2019
    Location:
    Cary, North Carolina
    Hey, I've become well, not familiar, but let's say "aware" of these solenoids as I've replaced a couple of transmissions. So I'm just curious: did you replace, and was there an effect?
     
  3. lothian

    lothian Active Member

    Posts:
    30
    Likes Received:
    1
    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2015
    Location:
    NC
    If by "did I replace" you refer to the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly specifically, then yes... I did replace. The effect was... buttkiss.

    First, though, I removed the existing--and original--solenoid valve assembly and cleaned the clogged screens inside both return tubes. The car moved... for a bit, but the transmission pretty quickly indicated I was not getting off the hook with just a few blasts of Brakleen nummies. Next, I sourced an aftermarket solenoid valve assembly--"new" but not OEM. It didn't fit, sooo, that effort ended quickly. Finally, I yanked a used OEM solenoid valve assembly from a donor B7XA, tested it for worky-worky, then installed it atop my transmission with fingers crossed. Same result as before. So that was a bummer.

    Some folks claim success simply cleaning/swapping the A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A/B Assembly. The source of my problem lay elsewhere. But no such luck fer me. My transmission is likely suffering from the effects of internal sludge, a typical affliction of the B7XA despite diligent and routine AFT changes.

    I discovered this thread and I'm intrigued by the audacious hack performed by its brave author, who claims it worked brilliantly! Other folks gave his fix a try and claim success as well. Caveat: His transmission was most likely a H7a BOYA ('94 5th gen) while mine is a B7XA ('00 6th gen), so it's probable that my transmission's whangdoodles, hornswogglers, snozzwangers, and vermicious knids are in different locations.

    But hope springs eternal.
     
    Last edited: May 4, 2019

Share This Page