Unique transmission story ! Please help.

RaVaGeSpEeD

Reaction score
So I have a unique transmission story, and it's confusing the hell out of me.

Bought car (02 v6 coupe) at 87k and it shifted PERFECTLY.
then at 97k i was driving and hit two raccoons violently. going about 50 or 60. two of them yes lol. right away, my CEL and TCS light popped up, and i cant remember the exact code but it was transaxle related. then about a day or two later it started shifting late and slipping into second.

My thoughts are that maybe a solenoid got messed up/jerked/broken or something and thats where my current shifting problems are coming from. I highly doubt it was just a coincidence.

Since then I've had a p0740 code which ive cleared and a p0780 code that i've cleared.

I'm at 104k now and it's just really bothering me.

Any advice helps, and I'm short on cash of course so I don't have money to just buy a new transmission or rebuild it right now. It just makes sense that a solenoid is messed up.

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score
P0780 is an internal hydraulic problem in the transmission. What you should do is replace shift solenoid and torque converter solenoids (they regulate the fluid flow, and when you hit the racoons, they probably broke and now your transmission doesnt "know" how to regulate the fluid, thus getting hard shifts..)p0740 is for the torque converter, so this all makes sense..sounds exactly like the torque converter and shift solenoids are failing.

So, first off, go examine under your car. I cant remember where exactly the solenoids are, but shouldnt be hard to figure out. First step in trouble shooting is to do the cheapest fix first, well here ya go...:peace:

RaVaGeSpEeD

Reaction score
P0780 is an internal hydraulic problem in the transmission. What you should do is replace shift solenoid and torque converter solenoids (they regulate the fluid flow, and when you hit the racoons, they probably broke and now your transmission doesnt "know" how to regulate the fluid, thus getting hard shifts..)p0740 is for the torque converter, so this all makes sense..sounds exactly like the torque converter and shift solenoids are failing.

So, first off, go examine under your car. I cant remember where exactly the solenoids are, but shouldnt be hard to figure out. First step in trouble shooting is to do the cheapest fix first, well here ya go...:peace:
Thank you again,

and does anybody maybe have a picture or diagram or where they're at from under the car ? lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I was gonna say get under there and look for physical damage. If you have a Haynes manual there might be some photos in there. Or grab a camera & go find your car at a junkyard or dealership and take some photos.

RaVaGeSpEeD

Reaction score
Do you guys think that if I took it to Honda for a diagnostic, that the diagnostic would find out if there is a solenoid out or would it just show slippage in second ?

inspired1

High Society
Reaction score
Do you guys think that if I took it to Honda for a diagnostic, that the diagnostic would find out if there is a solenoid out or would it just show slippage in second ?
They'll tell you "SOMETHING" is wrong for $70 and then for another $140 they'll tell you, there MIGHT be something wrong with your tranny specifically.

Millz

Reaction score
you dont have a mechanic that someone can recommend to you where you can go and get a free inspection/estimate?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Somebody from the 'Lou wanna help a dude out.

I wouldn't even bother wasting time going to the dealership to get this problem diagnosed, they will tell you you need a new tranny, nothing else can be done.

Latest posts

Back