UPDATED:DIY:CF Hood Re-Clear

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
So Iv had my VIS CF hood for about 2 years now. This summer its finally starting to get those what looks like water spots all over it.That and the famous green/yellow color. So I cleared it today.Pictures taken from my blackberry,Sorry

UPDATE ON VERY BOTTOM!
Items Needed:
=Work Bench for hood to rest securely
=800Grit wetdry sand paper
=hose,bucket,or squirt bottle with water
=GRAY:scotch brite pad(comes in pack of 3)
=Windex,Or proper car cleaner with ammonia
=Wax/grease remover-Acetone
=Tack rag
=Clear and activator
=cloth shop rags or non lint paper towels.

DIY:BUFFING
Items Needed:
High Speed orbital buffer.with proper foam pads
1500grit,2000grit,possibly 3000grit.
Compound,Swirl remover,polish
water
--------------------------------------------------------
Before,sunspots,slight scratches,ect;
hood1.jpg

hood2.jpg

1st:Clean the hood with Windex,or other wax/grease remover item.
-This step gets all those years/months of waxing that beautiful cf hood,allowing easier,faster sanding next.
hood3.jpg

2nd:lay the hose on the hood and start sanding with 800grit.Dont have to do alot of sanding,Just enough to scuff the surface. If your clear is peeling you may need to feather it out and sand more.But in my case a few light passes did the job.
hood4.jpg

3rd:Clean the hood once again with Windex or wax/grease to get the white wet sanding residue off.
hood5.jpg

4th:go back over with the GRAY scotch brite pad to make sure you didnt miss anything.Then Spray little sections with windex and scuff it wet.

5th:Clean the hood again with wax/grease remover. And tack it off

6th:Mix up your clear.and lay 3+coats on.Waiting 15mins in between or as your clear coat says.
1st coat-
hood6.jpg

7th: Depending on your gun,and surroundings;The clear may not spray out so flat and will leave the "orange peel" look.Thats ok,just needs to buff.
hood7.jpg

hood8.jpg

-only pics i have finished,Started Raining.

DIY- BUFF:
After the hood has dried for several hours. Now time to put sand paper back to the freshly painted hood.
-Get out the 1500gritt sand paper and go over the hood lightly.doing this with a block or wood stick will benefit from getting waves in it,and will allow ultra slick look once finished.
-After sanding the trash,orange peel down to your liking. GO back over the hood with 2000/3000.
-Get the buffer out along with the compound. Do section by section.Take it slow.With buffing carbon fiber,you cant heat up the resin as much as you would a normal metal panel.Or it will just cloud up again.
-once finished with compound,it will still be dull but should have all the sand scratches out. Go back over it with the swirl remover/polish;This will bring back the shine.
-After its all done wax that baby up and put it back on the car.

UPDATE: Hood has been buffed.looks great for time i spent.has room for improvement.trash in paint.but what do you expect for being out in the open spraying!

-Sanded with 1500,then back over it with 2000g wet
CIMG1842.jpg

Flash;
CIMG1843.jpg

non flash;
CIMG1844.jpg

Started buffing sections at a time: *COMPOUND ONLY STAGE*
CIMG1845.jpg

Compare:
CIMG1846.jpg

CIMG1847.jpg

CIMG1848.jpg

Then Finished with,swirl remover,glaze,and wax;
CIMG1849.jpg

flash:
CIMG1850.jpg

CIMG1851.jpg

CIMG1852.jpg

CIMG1853.jpg

Give it a good wash!
CIMG1855.jpg

CIMG1856.jpg

CIMG1857.jpg

CIMG1861.jpg

Look at the reflection of the clouds..looks good :)
CIMG1862.jpg

Note; That I said it still has room for improvement. Reasoning I say this is because,I Sprayed the hood very quick and got alot of trash in the paint on the 1st coat.didnt bother getting them out and sprayed 3 more down. There is still a hand full of trash in the hood.But atleast it is protected from the suns harmful rays. Now I did a quick job because Im re-painting the car soon anyways,along with the hood again. So for yall;Take your time and do it right.

Last edited:

CHID0

Reaction score
Re: DIY:CF Hood Re-Clear

I need to do this too my hood.....i'm about 2yrs overdo.

Props to an informative DIY!

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

Thanks guys..Im going to have to redu it.I Belive the CF soaked up most of the clear after drying.So after i buy another bigger compressor.Im going to respray it.

I used some cheap paint,medium activator;Company called:Smart-its in a yellow and black can.

and buy air gun..1.4mm tip

VietGuy03

Reaction score

Wow, props for trying this. I would personally be scared of doing this to a CF hood, because of the light nature of the hood and tendency to crack under extreme pressure, but it really came out well!

Back