Use the SEARCH n00b!

CokeZero

Reaction score
As a general rule of thumb, being around forums its good to try to search for a popular topic that has probably been covered and became redundant to the forum OG's.

However that's not always the case. What the OG's need to understand is that most of the post that have covered the topic has broken links and or missing picture and they still link noobs to those threads.

There could have been someone who has found a better way of doing things or new information on "that same old topic"

I think we should work on preserving our DIY and threads that cover popular topics by copying post and re hosting pictures if needed.

If we can't educate our noobs, whats gonna keep them around when they have no resources to learn?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I think this is a valid point. For a car that is 12-16 years old, of course a lot of info exists here already, but I have noticed as well that linked photos disappear or url’s become broken. I don’t think we should answer the same questions over and over again, but if something was done in 2006 I don’t think it hurts to ask again to see if a new method has been discovered (whether that means bumping the old thread or starting a new one). I think we just need to use discretion when we ask members to search. Take a look at the threads you’re referring them to yourself, and make sure it actually does help them. On the other side, members need to try more than one time when using the search if they don't find what they want. I see people say seach doesn't work, it actually does if you use the right keywords.

On a side note, it’s been my impression lately (as in the past several weeks), that the site is not as active anymore. I’m not as active as I used to be since I had my daughter, so maybe I'm not on at peak times or something but overall there seems to be a lot less activity on 6GA. I just want to make sure that isn’t because we are limiting discussion by discouraging it. The community needs to stay alive.

Thanks for speaking up, Coke.

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score
On a side note, it’s been my impression lately (as in the past several weeks), that the site is not as active anymore. I’m not as active as I used to be since I had my daughter, so maybe I'm not on at peak times or something but overall there seems to be a lot less activity on 6GA. I just want to make sure that isn’t because we are limiting discussion by discouraging it. The community needs to stay alive.

The community took a huge hit this summer with quite a few prominent members parting and selling their 6GA's. Still got the lurkers, though.:ehcapt:

james'99

Reaction score
I find the best way to search the forum is using Google. Enter your search terms appending site:6thgenaccord.com to the end of the search. I find that it takes a lot less time to parse through the site this way as there is a very abundant amount of information here.

CokeZero

Reaction score
I'm sure it may not be as active as it once was but the key is you still have n00bs joining. Since most kids start young, don't know much about forums or haven't developed a good thought process, they feel attacked when told they should have just searched.

I personally don't mind telling n00bs information over again because they are usually appreciative for the help. And in turn makes you feel like you actually helped them no matter how minor the question. If I have the time I don't mind. Or providing them with a link.

Because it starts conversation, builds rapport, keeps their interest, keeps them coming around and feels welcome = larger active community.

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score
I also noticed that this place died down a bit lately. A number of the more active members sold their cars and upgraded (or in my case, slightly downgraded haha) and don't seem to post here as much.
Coke made a pretty good point. And I'll admit I'm guilty of doing that, usually when I'm too lazy to write a lot or don't feel like looking for the answer.
However, I usually try to help with as many questions as I can, in case someone who does search comes across that thread. It's not very fun looking on google for an answer and only finding threads that says "please search".

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
...But is it possible to swap a manual trans to the V6?!? Has anyone done this before? :lawl: JK

I've been on many forums over the years and have seen a lot of hostility toward noob questions. Getting bullied by numerous existing members, sometimes to the point where it makes new members hesitant to post again. If I know the answer or at least know how to find it, I will help out. Keeping new members is important to forums, with the right experience; eventually they become OGs.

The best response is a brief answer or helpful insight with a subtle "search" suggestion. This is a community for information and inspiration, both of which I have received in my short membership thus far. This site is much better than most I have been on, so thanks for that everyone. :handshake:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
I was a deadly noob, when I first started to use web forums for my 6gen. :lawl:

Not only for cars, but everyday is a learning day. We all learn things from others, especially ones that offer you a help. It's kind of pointless to deal with others who show you the cold shoulder, especially on the internet; just ignore them.

With that said, I'd really like to encourage newly joined / lurkers to post things they want to share with us. It'll be 100x easier & faster to get what you want to get / know, b/c you get to know our members more in depth.

AND, searching first before posting will be even 200x more effective to get your questions answered right away. :)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
The community took a huge hit this summer with quite a few prominent members parting and selling their 6GA's. Still got the lurkers, though.:ehcapt:

Good point, I'm still alive and bitching, not going anywhere anytime soon! :Jedi: Not even thinking about parting out.

nexTOme

Reaction score
Good point, I'm still alive and bitching, not going anywhere anytime soon! :Jedi: Not even thinking about parting out.

props to you :D
i'll come from time to time and see if any noobs need any spanking :hihi:

host a meet or something, it'll be nice to have OG and noobs together.
meeting new people would be fun.

Back