Varnell's '99 J37 Stroker 6MT Coupe EX-L

White6GAV6

Reaction score
Re: Varnell's '99 J32 6MT Coupe EX-L

Thinking about welding a little L bracket to it and having that slide over the subframe on each side, holding it up for support on the sides, and then front and back weld brackets on to bolt it to an existing bolt higher up. That the plan anyways. If that makes sense.

A 3'x3' steel sheet is between 75 lbs and 100 lbs. But it's not like a race my car or go fast through turns where I'll have to worry about the understeer from the added weight. You could also use aluminum if you're worried about that. But steel will protect it a lot better.

Varnell

Reaction score

It's must be the world's smallest 'L' bracket. lol. There's no way you have room for that. You'll either end up carving a trench wherever you go or ripping out your frame.

My current thought process is to order an oem oil pan so fitment will be as good as possible, minimizing the chance of leaks. Then taking it to a welder/fabricator and having them cut off the bottom and fab a new one that doesn't stick down nearly as far. Maybe even using a stonger material on the bottom of the pan, though that's probably just wishful thinking. This would also simplify the application of a skid plate.

I'm not sure if it will have any effect on the oil pressure/pump, but I'll do more research before going forward with it. I've read about aftermarket oil pans designed for similar reasons before. $500 would be worthwhile for the convenience of not regular bashing the oil pan, I think.

The joys of daily driving a slammed car. lol

Last edited:

White6GAV6

Reaction score

The skid plates are aluminum so it's a lot harder to shorten than if it were steel. I thought about that before. Also, shorting the pan means less oil, and you would also have shorter the oil pick up.

But my motor is also raised 5/8" so I have more room between the motor/trans and the subframe. I haven't looked at too seriously yet. But what's the difference, stress wise, between bolting the plate to the subframe of having a bracket hold it up.

Varnell

Reaction score

Hopefully 1/2" off the lower section of the oil pan won't make much of a difference. Maybe half a quart at the most. I can measure the dimensions later.

My frame is probably about 5/8" higher than yours. I can only envision the L brackets bending and the skid plate bending, snagging, and catching. My car had a skid plate bolted to the subframe when I picked it up. It looked like two separate pieces metal. The bolts tucked up into the concave section of the subframe. It bent the metal in and prevented the bolts from getting ripped out.

Varnell

Reaction score

Just a small update. I cut a Monster can open with a box cutter and JB Welded it to the oil pan so I could pour some new oil through the engine and check for metal shavings. Yes, they were there, but I had to look for them. She may live yet. Or at least long enough to source another J32. Since I have the transmission and ECU, I should be able to make my choice of all 2001-2003 CL-S engines (auto or manual) which will make it easier to find one with lower miles. Here's hoping.

But my motor is also raised 5/8" so I have more room between the motor/trans and the subframe. I haven't looked at too seriously yet. But what's the difference, stress wise, between bolting the plate to the subframe of having a bracket hold it up.

Also, where'd you buy your spacers? I've been reading up on how they can help with axle wear. Who cares about hood clearance? lol

Last edited:

Varnell

Reaction score

^I did. Went through the VSS speed sensor at the top of the tranny.

In other news, nailed the biggest piece of wood I've ever seen on the highway and destroyed my week old oil pan. :driving: Honestly, I'm just thankful I managed to squeeze it between the wheel base. I don't want to think about what would have happened had I hit it with a tire.

james'99

Reaction score

^I did. Went through the VSS speed sensor at the top of the tranny.

In other news, nailed the biggest piece of wood I've ever seen on the highway and destroyed my week old oil pan. :driving: Honestly, I'm just thankful I managed to squeeze it between the wheel base. I don't want to think about what would have happened had I hit it with a tire.

Your luck recently... Not the greatest...

Varnell

Reaction score

Low oil pressure light flickers on occasion when rpms drop below 800. I'm thinking it's the oil pump dying after the hell its been through recently. Should have changed it when I had the oil pan off.

Varnell

Reaction score

Had the back windshield of my car shot out while going down the highway today. I wasn't sure it was a gunshot until seeing a report of a similar shooting the day before on the same section of highway. I know the windshield busted in because I have glass all the way up to my dash where it meets the front windshield.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/loc...s/nnxZT/?ecmp=wsoctv_social_facebook_2014_sfp

12118713_10153764079405984_2405885217794803541_n.jpg

Last edited:
Back