vtec solenoid help asap!

Xxtankinover

Reaction score
hey socouple of days i let afriend test drive my car. he accidentally downshifted from 4th to 3rd and the check engine light came on. at first i thought it was a o2 sensor. i stopped at a shop today and the mechanic checked the code and t said vtec solenoid sensor. he quoted me 280 for a new one installed since its a honda dealer part. i was wobdering if the price is good? and is it safe to drive for a couple of days? i know vtec engages at high rpms so i have been shifting at 3k rpms at most. or is it easy work ican do myself? thanks alot for the help!!

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Xxtankinover

Reaction score
first off, check the oil level.

secondly
jump the solenoid with 12v to see if it's working, you should hear a click.

thirdly, check the vtec pressure sensor with an ohm meter.

this will likely be of great help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTis29MQC4U

thanks alot, today i took t in ad the mechanic was pretty cool since i know him for a long time adn just happends that my car was low on oil, he said not much oil was going through the vtec making the light come on. he reseted the light and it hasnt turned on yet, drove it for 40 miles today. the light next to it that says "maintenance required flashes still after i turn it on though ive been trying to figure that out.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
No you should go change your oil when you're supposed to.

Secondly.

HOLD THE TRIP RESET BUTTON and turn on the key, the maint. light will flash. and disappear.

Xxtankinover

Reaction score
i still had 1000 miles to go on the old oil, but the mechanic told me to use 10w-40 instead of 10w-30 he said its either burning too much oil or theirs a leak somewhere but he couldnt find any. thanks for the help!

nsjames

Reaction score
i still had 1000 miles to go on the old oil, but the mechanic told me to use 10w-40 instead of 10w-30 he said its either burning too much oil or theirs a leak somewhere but he couldnt find any. thanks for the help!

you know, you probably ought to check the oil regularly, like every time you fill up the car. These are older cars, they have leaks and use oil. You need to keep up on it or you'll end up with a paperweight for a motor.

using 10w-40 will not slow your oil consumption either. Stick to the spec.

Simkid5614

Reaction score
YOU sir, are lucky you dont have a saturn.

1 qt every 1500 miles to some owners with a qt every 500 miles... Some worse.

Be glad you dont have that much oil burning.

Back