Weird Engine redline

2kcoupe

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new here. I am 17 and just purchased a 2000 Coupe with the F23. The car has been running pretty good up until last night when my engine light came on. I have had a minor issue with the Vtec truly hitting or slowly kicking in till 5-6000 and it would just hit hard (this wasn't always". Anyways I am now having the problem that when I hit 4000 Rpm's it will basically sound like the car is redlining. I thought at first it was just because it is cold but I warm my car up everyday before I start driving. The temperatures are roughly -15 Celsius (yes I am from Canada). Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
My 01 automatic, vtech kicks in around 4000rpms. After getting v2 aem intake it sounds a lot louder when vtech kicks in. U might not have issue there, as long as it kicks in. Freezing temperatures can cause problems, used to live up north and every winter I had to fix something...if there is water anywhere it'll freeze at that temp. How does it feel like red line u mean it won't go past 4000rpms and fuel gets cut off? Or the car feels weak and won't pass 4000 even if floored? Explain better. Sounds like it might be your coil (if u have any) check by unplugging one by one. Idk could be anything

2kcoupe

Reaction score
I got it scanned and I got a P1259 Vtec solenoid Malfunction and will be looking into the problem tomorrow. Hopefully replacing the entire solenoid should fix the problem.

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
I got it scanned and I got a P1259 Vtec solenoid Malfunction and will be looking into the problem tomorrow. Hopefully replacing the entire solenoid should fix the problem.

There you go replace the whole thing and it'll be fine. My friends vtech valve don't kick in at all but the car still drives without it :hmmm2:

2kcoupe

Reaction score
There you go replace the whole thing and it'll be fine. My friends vtech valve don't kick in at all but the car still drives without it :hmmm2:

Yeah the car drives absolutely fine except for the fact I basically have no power :flipthebird: It starts great for the cold weather and drives good. Just not being able to pull out of a parking lot or anything and be able to get in front of people sucks. I am a teenager and want to have my foot to the floor sometimes :p

SSMNVCG3

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
check your oil level. its quite possible you're low. if its too low vtec wont work and it'll put you in limp mode.

twofast4u

Reaction score
check your oil level. its quite possible you're low. if its too low vtec wont work and it'll put you in limp mode.

yep this is true. Like all honda's it will burn abit of oil if you keep ripping it lol. :canada:

JINXaREDLINE

Reaction score

checking oil level is first, I have this code also along with a few others. if you can not find where the oil is low if it is at all, check spark plug seals. my vtec gasket has been leaking for a while and I just got one of those last weekend, I'm still going to get the whole unit regardless next month.

Back