What to look for when buying a DSLR

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a DSLR. I'm looking to spend around $1000. I have two approaches when buying but I need suggestions and help to make sure I don't make a major mistake in my purchase. It should be noted that I could care less about brand, I don't have a preference between Pentax, Canon or Nikon.

Approach 1: Buy an entry level camera that has some nice abilities and spend the rest on better lenses.

Approach 2: Buy a nicer camera and get a kit and a nifty fifty while I save for better lenses.

Let me know which approach you think is best, since you all have personal history with cameras and have a recommendation for a body I would appreciate your input.

Last edited:

Darianjr1

Reaction score
I'd say approach one. The lenses makes the shots but at the same time don't go too far on the cheap end. I went and got the canon t2i which is 18mp I'm just looking for s better lense now. Also don't forget to get a very high speed memory card trust me they come in handy when recording in 1080p or else you're video will keep automatically stopping.

kn0x47

Reaction score
lenses are more important. nicer cameras have a few more features so you have to decide if you really need those. Like my d90 has more focal points, wireless flash capability and a built in focus motor which entry level cameras don't have

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
entry level SLRs are for noobs to learn with and soccer moms to use in green mode :coffee:

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, I am in the market for a DSLR as well atm. I am favoring Nikon over the other brands you mentioned though. I did some minor research, but nothing thorough yet. I will be following this thread very closely. Good luck on your search as well for the right set up that fits your needs.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
can you make like a "top 5" list of things you're looking for in a body (pun unintended :naughty:)?

and then how much left over for lenses? How many? focal lengths? aperture? a top 5 would be nice here as well.

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
Not in this order: image quality (non-compressed RAW capture), shutter lag time, full manual ability, sensor, viewfinder

although I prefer full bodies to compressed bodies, not that you'd notice by my wife :duckhunt:

with lenses I'm mainly looking for build quality and focal length

oneloudaccord

Reaction score
I'm a Nikon guy. For a 1k budget on a body and lens... I would go with option 1.

If you go with a Nikon DSLR on a $1000 budget, you would have to go with a DX format body (cropped sensor). The good thing about this is they have more options for different lenses compared to FX (full frame) lenses that cost an arm and a leg. I own a DX and an FX body. For that money, I would buy a DX body, a 35mm 1.8 lens ($199 retail), and an sb600 or 800 external flash. That might run you a little over 1000 though for an external flash, but lighting makes a big difference in photos. The 35mm 1.8 is a really good lens and even better at that price.

If you go Option 2. There's usually deals on kits with a 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses with a DX body... I don't even know what I did with my 18-55 once i upgraded to other lenses...

CrosCntryAccord

Reaction score
I'm a Nikon guy. For a 1k budget on a body and lens... I would go with option 1.

If you go with a Nikon DSLR on a $1000 budget, you would have to go with a DX format body (cropped sensor). The good thing about this is they have more options for different lenses compared to FX (full frame) lenses that cost an arm and a leg. I own a DX and an FX body. For that money, I would buy a DX body, a 35mm 1.8 lens ($199 retail), and an sb600 or 800 external flash. That might run you a little over 1000 though for an external flash, but lighting makes a big difference in photos. The 35mm 1.8 is a really good lens and even better at that price.

If you go Option 2. There's usually deals on kits with a 18-55mm and 50-200mm lenses with a DX body... I don't even know what I did with my 18-55 once i upgraded to other lenses...

If I went with Option 2 I would probably get a prime 1.4 lens and a zoom that is a step up from the kit lens. Thanks for the info and opinion.

Back