What would you do??

Remove Engine and Transmission together?

• Total voters

toast

Reaction score
If you had to replace your tranny and need to change your timing belt too, is it easier to pull both out together, or do each independently? I have 167k on the I4, with no service records, so it could have been done, or might not have.

I currently have an auto that doesnt like to shift out of first when cold. Only have 2nd (most of the time) and 3rd in limp mode. Once on the highway you can shut it off, and restart it without anymore problems the rest of the trip otherthan waiting for an extra second for it to downshift from 2nd to 1st at a stop. I would really love a 5spd swap, but not sure if I can get it done in a weekend. Its my DD, and my commute is 100 miles...last week it went into neutral couple of times on the highway too.

Opinions, thoughts?

toast

Reaction score
Well I have removed engines/transmissions in the past, just never on a FWD car...so I guess I will have to learn pretty quick! Still looking for a donor 5spd...

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i would just pull everything out and do an overhaul on the motor and tranny... GL bro

toast

Reaction score
i would just pull everything out and do an overhaul on the motor and tranny... GL bro
Thanks! All this 5spd swap research is confusing! I might just bite the bullet and jump for a JDM H22a7 or JDM F20B with a LSD 5spd...I would like the extra 50+ horses. Now I just have to figure out how much of a "bolt in" that would entail! Decisions, decisions...I want to stay in the 28+ mpg range, but I like power too!

toast

Reaction score
An H tranny with the F 5th gear would get you nearly the same gas mileage.
I havent looked into trannys specifically...I assume the H tranny is one that would be mated to it? There are a few JDM's on ebay that come complete with harness, cables, ecu, etc..

Back