Window Weld-ed Motor Mounts

Atreidies

Reaction score
2 weeks ago, before I bought the project car, I picked up some new motor mounts and a couple tubes of 3m window weld. Washed them in soapy water to remove any coating/residue they may have had from the manufacturing process.

Dried them thoroughly. Proceeded to fill in the gaps with window weld. Installed them this Sunday.

All I can say is WOW. HUGE difference. My old mounts were still in decent condition (less than 80k miles), but these things are pretty freakin' stiff.

I do get some rattling of my dash at idle, but I think that more comes from me pulling it apart to mount gauges, run stereo equipment, and having 2 RD Audio 12' w/ 900w rms each for 2 years more than just stiff mounts. I mean, my rear view mirror broke off, at the shaft, from all of the vibration from bass on my windshield.

The positive differences I've noticed are no "delay" in acceleration while my motor flexes the mounts, less wheel hop when I drop the clutch from a standing start, and no issues when shifting(again, flexing in the mounts).

I didn't change the rear mount yet. The transmission mount pissed me off, so I stopped there. Will put it in this weekend.

I am posting this because it is a really easy mod. If you can get ahold of used mounts for cheap, it can cost next to nothing. I am going to clean and window weld my old mounts and probably sell them to another 6ga owner I know.

Garcia61904

Reaction score
thanks man, i really wanted to do this mod but i needed a review like that to make up my mind. thanks again

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Nice man, I'm going to do that as well when I pull the engine out, if I don't get Innovative mounts, or 5GA polyurethane inserts.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
**** works, i cant remember the rating for windowweld or the poly i used but both were decent

and yeah, the motor is going rock like a mother at idle

Atreidies

Reaction score
**** works, i cant remember the rating for windowweld or the poly i used but both were decent

and yeah, the motor is going rock like a mother at idle

I think the WW is 75 or so on the Shore scale. Really not that much stiffer than the OEM rubber, but it adds rigidity due to their being more material and the fact that you're filling the areas designed to give.

It is the worst at start up. The first time I cranked it, I thought I'd left a mount loose or something. Lol. But it's nice to be able to chirp third gear. Especially on 225/45/18's.

SouthStar019

Reaction score
how did you get to the trans mount? i looked at it and seemed a little hard to get to. but i need to put in the new trans and rear mount i have, i filled mine with polyurethane just cant wait to put in.

Atreidies

Reaction score
Deep socket 17mm to loosen the bracket from the tranny. Loosen the bolt from mount to the bracket. Then you can get the bracket out of the way enough to get to the mount bolts. I have big hands (6'5"), so I was never really able to get down there and loosen by hand. Open ended wrench a 1/4 turn at a time gets annoying quickly. Starting the back bolt on that mount is a pain too when re-installing the new mount. I dropped it at least 5 times....

Back