Won't start, no codes, ideas?

karlkatzke

Reaction score
We flew in on New Year's Eve to the airport, and went to pick up my car... it started, sputtered, and died. It had been fine when we'd driven it to the airport, but before that had sat for about two months. We tried jump starting it, but no go. Had to have it towed ... at midnight on new year's eve... back to my girlfriend's place.

155k miles, timing belt and water pump replaced at 112k, battery's about two years old and tests out fine with my multimeter. The CEL is not on.

Since it sputtered but battery seems fine, I'm thinking it might be fuel related... fuel pump? I have no idea how to test that theory, though. Can someone walk me through the next few logical diagnostic steps?

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
go stick your head in your trunk and have your girlfriend turn the key to on. the fuel pump should make a humming sound. also take your battery to someone who has a batt tester. you checking your battery with a multimeter isn't nearly enough testing to eliminate a dead battery as a possibility.

jdmcg3

Reaction score
yeah im thinking bad main relay.. aka fuel pump isnt coming on.

do the whole test thing with your gf.. honestly you dont even need her to do it though. just turn everything the makes noise off (stereo, close the door so it wont "ding", etc.)
and turn to the on position. youll know it once you hear the humming if its coming on or not.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Do the fuel pump thing. I had a bad fuel pump and when I tried listening for it I couldn't hear anything, but I just thought it was really quiet. Now I can hear my new pump prime over the radio if the volume isn't to high.

karlkatzke

Reaction score
I identified two clicks from the dash (one in the center console and one in the passenger footwell), and immediately after that I heard a whirr that was audible in the backseat but not in the trunk (probably just due to the amount of road noise near my trunk since it's facing the road.)

Based on that, I'm going to first try replacing the battery ... once my girlfriend gets home with her car. I'm nowhere near the right color to walk the mile and a half to the nearest auto parts store with a battery, and back, at least in this neighborhood... :afro:

hirichard

Reaction score
Test the battery outfirst. It could be a fuel Pump problem. IIRC spraying starting fluid in the tb is bad?

Back