Won't start, please help, I'm desperate!

kcollings

Reaction score
So three nights ago I drove my 2001 4-cylinder LX to the store and back, no problems. I got up the next day and it cranks but doesn't ever start. I tried replacing the cap and rotor and the spark plugs. I checked the fuel injectors and fuel pump. I had a friend run a diagnostic on it and he told me it threw the following: Misfire, Fuel, CCM, Catalytic converter, EVAP, O2, HTR, and EGR. I am desperate for any help, I was on vacation when this started and have been stranded for two days, I just wanna get me and my kids home. Help!

001Stunna

Reaction score
So three nights ago I drove my 2001 4-cylinder LX to the store and back, no problems. I got up the next day and it cranks but doesn't ever start. I tried replacing the cap and rotor and the spark plugs. I checked the fuel injectors and fuel pump. I had a friend run a diagnostic on it and he told me it threw the following: Misfire, Fuel, CCM, Catalytic converter, EVAP, O2, HTR, and EGR. I am desperate for any help, I was on vacation when this started and have been stranded for two days, I just wanna get me and my kids home. Help!

What your friend told you makes no absolute sense. Please tell him to just not try and help at all. It sounds like your friend just looked at what was flashing on his scan tool regarding the ECU tests and told you everything was wrong.

For the car to start you need spark, fuel, compression.

Does your fuel pump prime when you turn the key to second ON position? You can hear a whirring sound if in a quiet place.

Do you hear your main relay click on when turned key to ON position and the CEL light goes on and off in about 2 seconds.

Do you have spark out of your all your plugs? You can test by pulling each sparkplug boot off and using one of your old plugs. Insert the old plug in the boot and ground the plugs threads on a clean spot on the valve cover. Have someone press the gas pedal all the way down (to put the car in clear flood mode(no gas being shot in cylinders)) as they crank the car and you take notice at the spark being created. It should be white/bluish. Wear a rubber glove to be safe so you don't shock yourself accidentally.

Also try to start the car in Neutral as well. If it starts in neutral but not in P it could be a faulty neutral safety switch.

Last edited:

kcollings

Reaction score
Yes that is more than likely exactly what he did. I don't have a lot of experience with those things and obviously neither does he. And I understand the concept of how the car needs fuel, spark, and compression to run. What I need help with is pinpointing what is not working properly so I can fix it. And as I already stated, I checked the fuel pump, it is clearly functioning as is the main relay. And I replaced and then tested each plug to make sure they were getting spark. I also noticed the cap and rotor were rather worn so I replaced those. I am now looking at checking the ignition control module. So, do you have anything that might be helpful to me?

Jimsun

Reaction score
Is your battery good? Have you tried to get the car boosted? Maybe it needs a little power to start

001Stunna

Reaction score
Yes that is more than likely exactly what he did. I don't have a lot of experience with those things and obviously neither does he. And I understand the concept of how the car needs fuel, spark, and compression to run. What I need help with is pinpointing what is not working properly so I can fix it. And as I already stated, I checked the fuel pump, it is clearly functioning as is the main relay. And I replaced and then tested each plug to make sure they were getting spark. I also noticed the cap and rotor were rather worn so I replaced those. I am now looking at checking the ignition control module. So, do you have anything that might be helpful to me?

Well since you are not willing to get help and run down things the normal step by step way...as I cannot exactly pinpoint your problem without asking questions about it, how you tested it etc, & I do not have car mind reading abilities.

ICM...here's how to test it...have fun.
12312312a.jpg

Have a looky here too if you please
http://techauto.awardspace.com/ignition.html

Good luck.

Last edited:

kcollings

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I just figured it would be a fairly safe assumption that I had checked the battery and it was fine. I had been working through following the fuel and then started following the spark. That is why I mentioned having checked those items and what I was ready to check next. I guess I had hoped that someone with more experience and knowledge regarding my problem might be able to save me some time. Thanks for the link though, that helped a bit.

Back