Yikes! my accord has bad head gasket - need chicago area shop!

njmodi

Reaction score
So... i just bought my 2002 EX 5spd 10 days ago.. it's been parked at my house since I was waiting to do some basic maintenance (oil/plugs/cabin filters/etc.)... before I started driving it daily..

well when i did the oil change, the oil had a green coolant tint to it - i was like oh sh!t...

I popped the radiator cap and there's chocolate milk in there... of course, the seller had put in fresh coolant and oil right before showing me the car - so there was no way to know... the car runs fine - no misfires, engine seems really smooth... I have not done a compression test yet...

Anyway - so now I'm debating between an engine swap (I'll just do a straight F23 swap) or just replacing the gasket...

Can anyone recommend a local Chicago/Suburbs Honda shop that will give me the best advice and do good work at a reasonable price?

The motor has 125k on it right now... so I'm learning toward a swap.

How much does a swap run usually?

Thanks all!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
has the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump ever been done? if not, might as well while youre in there, even though itll cost more.

with a used engine, you'll probably end up in the same place you are now...to be honest :coffee:

njmodi

Reaction score
has the timing belt, tensioner, and water pump ever been done? if not, might as well while youre in there, even though itll cost more.

with a used engine, you'll probably end up in the same place you are now...to be honest :coffee:

Ya - I plan on having those three changed at the same time as well as the distributor gasket, Valve cover gasket and anything else I can think off..

I'm not sure if the heads are cracked.. which is why I was debating if I should just do a full swap.. I can pick up a motor with <60k for 400-500 bucks....

Either way - I gotta find a shop first...

1998accordsirt

Reaction score
Dakota-K Auto Repair and Tire Center in Buffalo Grove.

Used to work there; Very skilled technicians and a good business ethic, although it is known to be somewhat pricey, however they are good at doing complete engines. 847-398-4645

njmodi

Reaction score
Dakota-K Auto Repair and Tire Center in Buffalo Grove.

Used to work there; Very skilled technicians and a good business ethic, although it is known to be somewhat pricey, however they are good at doing complete engines. 847-398-4645

Thanks for the recommendation... I actually ended up dropping it off at HAAS Inc... and it looks like it's time for a new engine. I'm not sure I want to go down that path... so I'm just going to sell it at a loss... I'll post in classifieds forum...

Back