Your dream job....

Discussion in 'Life Lessons' started by Raul, Oct 14, 2012.

1. GoldnKnight22

GoldnKnight22 TWM:TLMF

I'd be a car designer for a major automotive company. That would be awesome. And will also never happen.

But I don't think I'll even have a job that I LOVE going to. Unless it's a job that just pays so well that I don't have to love what I do, but I'd love the paycheck. Yeah... that's more like it.

2. DarkSideAccord

DarkSideAccord nadeshiko fobz ftw..

big paycheck is nice (something I do not have right now :sad: ), but if it starts interfering with your quality of life, f*ck tht

3. Raul

Raul Well-Known Member

wow 200k yearly? Sign me up haha. Although I never did drugs....

An analyst who is university student who was hired to crunch boring numbers in MS Access and Excel. I really hate Access but I need to learn it.

lol yea....a pimp with toyota and lexus parts. I could get discounts on them!

to both of you: Investment Banker. 200K+ average salary with 80/90 hours per week:skurred:

4. SykVSyx

SykVSyx Well-Known Member

Justice of the Peace.

It's my career goal and the salary is pretty sweet as well.

If that doesn't work out, I will become a US citizen and play the Powerball Lottery and go from there.

:coffee:

5. 98ExAccordwv

98ExAccordwv I'm Old

^Haha to the last part

Pediatrician or Engineer. Have actually been considering heading back to school :skurred:

6. RedRyder

RedRyder Be a better driver

^Would that be pretty difficult now that you have a kid?

So true. I would have no sense of fulfillment either.

My wife teaches early education, loves it because she basically was hired to build a new program for them, plus summers off is awesome. She is also debating getting a public school job to make more money though, she is at a private school right now. She doesn’t like getting paid so little since she has a masters. She has also thought about going into nursing instead, which also pays better.

I was set on being a car designer, which is why I went to school for industrial design. I took a transportation track and enrolled in two trans studios. GM and Chrysler took turns sponsoring us, so we would work closely with designers from both companies. I learned from that experience that being a car designer is not as glamorous as it sounds, there is a TON of bureaucracy and red tape. And people who work on the interior only design individual pieces, like a seat, or an HVAC panel, or the steering wheel. If you work on the outside, you’re on a team and you have to deal with tons of EPA, NHTSA, etc regs. Which is why awesome concept cars turn out to be boring production cars 90% of the time. Very difficult to execute your vision of what a car should look like.

If you want a good car design job, you have to basically work for Pagani or the like, where they are essentially above that crap.

This. Not worth having a high paying job that interferes with your life too much.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  7. 98ExAccordwv

98ExAccordwv I'm Old

It'd be very difficult. But we'd be able to swing it, and afterwards it would pay off.

8. MoneyPit

MoneyPit Well-Known Member

Before I start, please understand that I fully respect your aspirations, and I applaud you for the notion of turning something destructive in your life into something humanistic.

With that said, though, and with all seriousness, I think you should reconsider those goals. I am intimately familiar with the stats in regards to physician anesthesiologists (DO's and MD's) and addiction, and the dismal reality is that 1/3 of them end up trying/abusing hardcore prescription medications before their career ends. With your "affinity for drugs," as you put it, choosing the field of anesthesiology as a career is no better than choosing to befriend and spend majority of your time with addicts who actively do drugs in your presence, and in all reality, it may be worse because the medications associated with medicine hide behind a cloak of deceit that whispers "they aren't as bad because they are prescribed everyday."

I know that you are likely very confident in your ability to resist temptation, but just remember - 1 in 3 of the numerous anesthesiologists that lose their license, family, respect, and/or life did too. With your history, there is no environment that you could place yourself into that could surpass the temptation you will be exposed to in the field of anesthesia.

9. CrosCntryAccord

CrosCntryAccord Well-Known Member

I think that if he is in a good support system and, from when we've hung out, he doesn't have a problem controlling himself.

1/3 of those who lose their license, not 1/3 of ALL nurse anesthetists

10. DarkSideAccord

DarkSideAccord nadeshiko fobz ftw..

tht explains the high pay... the higher the risks, the higher the pay.. it all makes sense now