the deal with sound deadeners

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
a conversation on another forum got me thinking about this topic. you guys know that i link to www.sounddeadenershowdown.com a lot since it has the best info whether you buy from don or not. this is THE place to educate yourself. it would be nice to have info on deadening in once place on 6ga so the topic isn't beaten to death.

heres the thing: don used to ONLY test sound deadeners before making his own, hence the name of his site. so if your view is skewed towards him since he has stuff for sale, check out the wayback machine's version of his site, before he turned "commercial" here http://web.archive.org/web/20080430135234/www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/

the text isn't pretty since it's just an archived page, but take the time to navigate around the site and actually read what he says. like he says on the site (and i can provide links to others' experiences with bad products) simply google "sound deadener fell off" and see what brands pop up.

best part about SDS is that don wont advise you to buy 300 sq ft of a dynamat-like material to cover every square inch of your car twice over...its wasteful, its expensive, its heavy, and worst of all, a vibration dampener isn't made to block noise.

so get reading and become educated :beer: this is not a shameless plug for SDS...rather...a source for understanding. manufacturers will blow smoke you-know-where to get a sale, and of course, their product is "best." and the more you buy, the "better" it is :rolleyes:

sticky? :D

Last edited:

Phatbass

Reaction score
By any chance are you talking about DIYMa?

anyways, its seems as if dynamat holds trump in the sound deadening scene. Its probably the worst cost effective item i know of but shops use it because not only is it the most known but its a good way to charge you mark up on the work being done.

I myself couldn't see myself wasting 200-400 bucks in something like dynamat. Went Home Depot and bought 10 rolls of Weather Patching (peel n seal)
While its definitely not the cleanest install and might not look top notch but it does its job surprisingly well and thats all I should want from tar on aluminum sheeting.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
diyma, yep.

peel n seal is the worst type of deadening out there...guess you didnt read the SDS site? :hide: this coming summer might suck for your car...

Phatbass

Reaction score
diyma, yep.

peel n seal is the worst type of deadening out there...guess you didnt read the SDS site? :hide: this coming summer might suck for your car...

well heat isnt really an issue, I park inside my garage and underground at school... plus imma lay some spectrum over it and make sure it sticks...

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
so your car is never in the sun? in socal? interesting.

dont waste your time or money on more layers. think about painting a car. you have to get rid of the old paint, rust, dents, and deep scratches before paint. the best paint in the world will become the worst paint job in the world with a bad base.

do it once...do it right...

Phatbass

Reaction score
so your car is never in the sun? in socal? interesting.

dont waste your time or money on more layers. think about painting a car. you have to get rid of the old paint, rust, dents, and deep scratches before paint. the best paint in the world will become the worst paint job in the world with a bad base.

do it once...do it right...

Agreed, I dont plan on doing it anytime soon, but its def on the list.

I have 600 saved up so far and have a few hundred on the way. A one-day paint shop is def outta the question!

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Is it just me or are the links just not working?

I do understand the concept however. In a recording studio, you use various types of materials to absorb sound. Some are for low end, some for high. The building is usually designed for acoustics but many are far from being optimal. You basically don't want the room to sound "dead", you want it to sound live but "flat", not bass heavy, not treble heavy, or anything in between. Too much absorption is bad in that environment and things don't sound good. Too much is usually better than not enough but it isn't the right way to go. So from what I am getting, it's kind of a similar idea. You treat key things and call it a day, any more is unnecessary and can actually make things sound worse.

Plus, doing your whole car in dynamat (I am not using the the name generically) can add 200lbs if you do it all the way through and double up in places. I have been in a car that had every surface done from the roof to the floor, behind the dash under the hood, trunk, etc. It was quiet and sounded good but I was not impressed for the $2000 or so he spent to do his car to that extent.

Back