Brain pickin' time coolant related

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Okay so I am having a problem with the radiator in my car. I need some help troubleshooting. I have checked the fluid level, the radiator cap, and made sure the thermostat is opening. However this is my problem, at night and only night for some odd reason, I will get out of my car to go inside my house and hear what appears to be boiling water. I have determined that the overflow hose is spewing out steam into my overflow tank making the bubbling sound. I don't know why this is happening and maybe it is normal. But any ideas are welcomed. I will be replacing the thermostat soon anyway just to make sure, and I will preform a flush. BTW my temp gauge is dead and works only when it wants to. :(

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score
You could have a slightly blown headgasket, but I would double check the radiator cap first.

Fuzz

Reaction score
do you hear your rad fans come on at all.

Also check to make sure you have no leaks and make sure your rad is full. The last time I heard bubbling it was cause there was air in the system and I didn't turn on my fans (switch is broken... manual control)

F23A1AT

Reaction score
Ya, cap is brand new I thought that it was causing the problem at first bc it fell apart and the system wasn't pressurizing leading to boil-off. Im gonna flush it all and replace the thermo I hope that fixes it. :crossesfingers: but please keep em coming guys

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Thermostat or wiring?

I'd like to also mention a radiator related problem to add to this thread.

Anyone ever experience coolant leaking from pipe bung for automatic transmission hookup, that's usually left unplugged in manual transmission accords? The little piece that sticks out like a J from the bottom side of the radiator. Lately I have been having a leak from that area. The stuff just drips out of there.

finch13

Reaction score
OP, next time it happens take a look at the overflow tank and see if fluid is getting dumped into it.

As the system loses pressure as it cools down it starts sucking coolant back into the cooling system (opposite as when it heats up and purges extra coolant). This is why it's important to use a Honda OEM 1.1bar cap.

By the way, you most likely need a temperature gauge sending unit. It's under $30 from Honda (only use a Honda one, I have an aftermarket and it's not accurate at all) and it's located under the distributor with a single wire lead. There's a similar sensor (ECT, engine coolant temp sensor) near it so don't get them confused. Coolant needs to be partially drained (1/2 gallon or so) to change it.

How did you check the thermostat? Place it in a pan of boiling water and watch it open?

finch13

Reaction score
Thermostat or wiring?

I'd like to also mention a radiator related problem to add to this thread.

Anyone ever experience coolant leaking from pipe bung for automatic transmission hookup, that's usually left unplugged in manual transmission accords? The little piece that sticks out like a J from the bottom side of the radiator. Lately I have been having a leak from that area. The stuff just drips out of there.

Coolant or tranny fluid? Than tranny cooler line spirals up the inside of the radiator so it's possible it could leak.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Bump for this!

Finch, it's coming from the J piece as described. It's where the auto tranny hooks up if I had one, but I have an MT so it's not hooked up to anything. Coolant is leaking out of it. What could be causing this? It still leaks pretty bad...

Back