Symptom of a blown shock

xJx

Reaction score
I bought some used tokico blues from a member on here(you know who you are!) he told me they were all in good working order. This pasted weekend I was going to put them on, so before I did I pressed down on them to make sure they were not blown. One front one would not compress back up...It came up a little but not all the way is that a sign that it is no good. Also I decided to install the front anyways then I notice that one side is lower then the other side from the front view. I'm pretty sure that means the shock is no good. I drove on it and when I hit a bump or hole it sounds like the whole shock just does not absorb and just hits the top real hard making a loud thud sound...I wanted to get all of you guys opinions because I dont know much about it.
Sorry if this has be discussed already! I need your inputs! Thanks all!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sounds blown, PM the seller to resolve the issue. If that does not work, then PM a moderator to get involved with the seller. If the seller did not disclose this info, they may have to refund your money. Take them off the car and do not put any more miles on them.

Last edited:

jvirusvirus

Reaction score
Be a bummer..... I would like to know too Lol have the same problem but only a little thud from the front only not sure if its the motor mount or the shocks...:eh:

xJx

Reaction score
Man I new I should have just bought brand new ones. I dont want to have to take them off until I can replace it how long do you think would be to long to drive on it. I dont drive much just to school usually.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
if you said that one side is higher than the other its not the shock, its your springs. cause the springs control your ride height and the shock controls the bounce.

xJx

Reaction score
if you said that one side is higher than the other its not the shock, its your springs. cause the springs control your ride height and the shock controls the bounce.

My springs i bought brand new. But my car has been in an accident on the front side thats lower could that effect it?

xJx

Reaction score
^ Yes, accidents affect a lot of things, mostly suspension.

so the uneven height could probably be from the accident..but for sure the shock is blown because of all the signs.

finch13

Reaction score
Can you move the piston back and forth easily by hand? Some shocks don't fully extend themselves after being compressed, they rely on the spring to pull the piston out again.

A blown shock usually leaks oil and has very little resistance when you push and pull the shaft.

Back