Symptom of a blown shock

xJx

Reaction score
Can you move the piston back and forth easily by hand? Some shocks don't fully extend themselves after being compressed, they rely on the spring to pull the piston out again.

A blown shock usually leaks oil and has very little resistance when you push and pull the shaft.

Im not good with the termanology lol but what is the piston? I dont think its leaking any oil but just front the whole pot holes/speed/bumps/or dips senerio woth that right front shock something does not seem right.

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Im not good with the termanology lol but what is the piston? I dont think its leaking any oil but just front the whole pot holes/speed/bumps/or dips senerio woth that right front shock something does not seem right.
Those should be avoided at all costs.

And the piston is the part that moves up and down.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
i would take it off right away... i rode with a blown shock and my wheel would bounce off the road and i would swerve off the road... once i got home, i went to the store and bought a new one... dont take any chances

xJx

Reaction score
Those should be avoided at all costs.

And the piston is the part that moves up and down.

Yeah I try to avoid them but there are little ones that I dont even notice and thats when I hear the thud.

I dont think I could move it up and down easily by hand the only issue was when I compressed it down it did not come back up smoothly it stopped and stuck at a certain point.

xJx

Reaction score
i would take it off right away... i rode with a blown shock and my wheel would bounce off the road and i would swerve off the road... once i got home, i went to the store and bought a new one... dont take any chances

I think that might have happend to me today. But i wasnt sure if it had to do with the shock because the road was some what uneven because they were paving it. Even with my stocks before that happend but not as much.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Another problem is, who knows how many miles are on the rest of your suspension, u might need to buy another in the future. It might be better to just contact the seller and see if they will refund ur money so u can get a pair of new ones or atleast pay for a new one in exchange for the bad shock.

Last edited:

xJx

Reaction score
Another problem is, who knows how many miles are on the rest of your suspension, u might need to buy another in the future. It might be better to just contact the seller and see if they will refund ur money so u can get a pair of new ones or atleast pay for a new one in exchange for the bad shock.

Yeah you never know how many miles are on used shocks. Im trying to resolve it with him and asked him to refund some of the money because I just bought a brand new one for about $100.

pattywak

Reaction score
if you said that one side is higher than the other its not the shock, its your springs. cause the springs control your ride height and the shock controls the bounce.

^ Yes, accidents affect a lot of things, mostly suspension.

Can you move the piston back and forth easily by hand? Some shocks don't fully extend themselves after being compressed, they rely on the spring to pull the piston out again.

A blown shock usually leaks oil and has very little resistance when you push and pull the shaft.
I would check your springs also, they may have been seated wrong under the top hat or on the strut.

I dont think I could move it up and down easily by hand the only issue was when I compressed it down it did not come back up smoothly it stopped and stuck at a certain point.
So there is no oil leaking and you can't move it easily by hand? Sounds like it isn't a blown shock.

pattywak

Reaction score
Also, did you get your car checked out after it was hit? There could be underlying problems leftover from that. Also, what is the height difference from each side?

finch13

Reaction score
^ I agree. The shock doesn't always decompress itself... and it certainly doesn't sound blown.

I think you might just not be used to driving a lowered car... if the car isn't excessively bouncy (tight bounces are okay) you don't have blown shocks. I've hit plenty of potholes and large bumps with my Konis and it sure sounds like the car is about to explode, but the shocks aren't blown.

Back