DIY EGR clean help

ZFreak

Reaction score
The wire brush you use to clean guns works great too. Kit is at walmart for like $10.

You have to take the upper intake manifold off. It's a good time to clean the IACV out too.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^This. The top plenum is easy to take off with a tool that has right clearance. there are 2 nuts and 3 bolts holding it down. The metal gasket in between can be reused if it is not damaged. When you take the plenum off, it will also come off with the throttle body on it.

GreddyAccord99

Reaction score
Sadly I have to bump this, I still don't understand. Every seems to have a vague explanation.. So far what Ive picked up is that the problem is in the intake manifold and not the actual EGR valve itself correct? I saw the pictures on removing the bolts for the IM and the rear ones seem pretty impossible to get to. Other than that, wouldn't you have to remove the bolts and brackets for the throttle cables?

But for cleaning the actual EGR valve itself, I saw that there are two bolts and they seem impossible to get to. Any tips on getting to them?

(Sorry for the noob questions but Im tired of driving around with a CEL still on and really want to get this done)

sodaks2k

Reaction score
So far what Ive picked up is that the problem is in the intake manifold and not the actual EGR valve itself correct?

In 99% of the cases, yes. The "runner" from the EGR valve to the IM is what get's plugged. You can see it in my pictures.

I saw the pictures on removing the bolts for the IM and the rear ones seem pretty impossible to get to.
Not impossible, and not that bad really.

Other than that, wouldn't you have to remove the bolts and brackets for the throttle cables?

You might be able to leave the cables attached, but I removed them. You don't remove the bolts or brackets, simply remove the cable from the bracket.

But for cleaning the actual EGR valve itself, I saw that there are two bolts and they seem impossible to get to. Any tips on getting to them?
Not impossible either. I used a wrachet/socket on one and (I think) and open ended wrench on the other.

Last edited:

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
i cleaned up my egr valve and the pipes that leads up to the EGR when i replaced the valve gasket and adjusted my valve clearance.

my check engine light kept coming on saying my EGR was malfunctioning before i cleaned up the piping and the EGR valve.
but after i cleaned up the piping, without replacing my EGR, the check engine never came on again.

the EGR on our cars rarely break.
it is always the piping that is causing all the trouble.
the piping often get plugged up by exhaust deposits.

ABONACCORD

Banned
Reaction score
Do you plan on keeping the car for a while? I'm getting rid of mine and I had the same problem dealership didn't warranty it and wanted 1600 to do it. I ended up doing it myself but the kit cost 200 plus dollars so I just ended up doing it mines a v6 so the port was on the upper manifold I just stuck a screw driver in it a few times to clear it out and ran it thru a parts washer. I had to buy new gaskets but it worked for me.

Raymond

Reaction score
Someone needs to do this on a V6 and take pics for me to follow lol, mine's been clogged since I bought the car 2yrs ago. Honda wanted ~$400 to do it so I said screw it and left it alone lol

Nissan2anAccord

Reaction score
okay, so i havent thrown any codes yet -crosses fingers- im almost at 123k on my 99 accord, i plan to seafoam, and clean the IACv and EGR sometime this weekend into next week after my pay check, should i seafoam first and then clean the EGR/IACV or other way 'round?

another note, im planning to clean throttle body while im in there to remove all the carbons the best i can, possible improve some throttle responce and was wondering if on the IM if it would be a good idea to take a wire brush and clean the soot of the channels into the sylinders while i have it off???

anyones input please?

Last edited:
Back