DIY EGR clean help

sodaks2k

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and removed the top half of the intake manifold. Not really as bad as I thought. I definitely found the culprit.

P1010371-1.jpg

P1010372-1.jpg

P1010373-1.jpg

After I did some cleaning with carb cleaner and my air hose. Make sure you cover the end where things will be flying out. I got carbon build-up and carb cleaner pretty much everywhere. :( Does not make for an easy clean up.

P1010374-1.jpg

P1010376.jpg

Reaction score
Tools needed
Socket wrench (i used a 3/8) with extension (a short extension, not a long one are u wont be able to get the 2 bolts in the back holding the manifold down..i used a 3inch extension ..
10mm socket to get the the bolts holding the throttle cable bracket and other brackets that are attached to the top half of the manifold..
A screw driver to get the intake off the manifold
Plivers to get the clamps off some of the hoses.
(you may or may not need to replace the top half of the manifold gasket. mine was metal and not damaged so i reused it and its doing fine.)
Picks to pick out the carbon in the holes..
A brush to get into the passage way to clean it out
(i used a shot gun barrel brush )
Shop vac to suck out the dry carbon that you are going to keep picking at
oh and i reused my egr valve gasket.

That’s about it no special tools really

OK so first thing i did was remove the intake off the manifold and the hoses connected to it.
then start unclipping every sensor and cable that is connected to the top half of the manifold that way nothing will be hanging on to it .
Throttle cables need to come off . just unhook them by pulling down on them like if your giving it gas and
Pulling them out with a screw driver .. then disconnect all the vacuum hoses and there are like3 lines with coolant in them you can tell those apart cause they are thicker and have tight claps..so watch out with those if your car is still hot ...lots of water is going to come out so you’ll need to pick up some coolant and to top off when u are done.
Now like i said before there are to hoses in the back of the manifold that are hard to get to save those for last they are in the back of the manifold on the left side if your facing the car.

Ok once u have cleared everything out of the way its time to take off the 5 bolts holding down the manifold with the 12mm and extension.
Once you get them off the manifold should be loose to wear if should pop off if not get a screw driver to pry it lose. remember that the 2 hoses in the back are still on ....i did those last because with the manifold loose you can twist it to were u can reach the hose easier and take them off ..one is a vacuum hose and the other is a coolant hose, remember where each hose goes back to.

Ok so now if u have it completely off u should see the passage way that leads to the egr valve. mine was backed up with carbon. so what u want to do now is clean all that out .. clean out the passage that leads the the egr vavle..go ahead and take the egr vavle off so u can clean from that passage also.. should be 2 12mm bolts holding it down and unclip the clip that is hooked up to it.
Now comes the cleaning process. pick at the carbon first to break it up if it was bad like mine. once u get enough picked go ahead and vacuum it out just keep going and going till it looks better..now your not going to be about to get to every thing with the picks . thats where the shot gun brush came in for me . so i poured some gasoline down the passage way and stuck the brush in there and took the brush out and cleaned it in gasoline and repeated the process ...start working at both sides of the hole cleaning with gas and the brush ..youll know when u start making good progress with the gasoline is running from the top side to the egr passage, my shop vac has 2 functions (sucks up and blows out air) so i used the part that blows out air in the passage to blow out all the crap that is left one the air flow is nice ...you know u got it all out ....now clean everything while u are in there ...wipe down your intake clean with gas if u have to ..i did...i used like 2 rolls of shop towles on this job..and clean the inside of the intake manifold.....
Now let everything dry and put back together

i put the 2 hoses in the back on last.

Hope this helps you out ..im not good at writing how tos so bear with me ... if u have anymore question or if i left something out let me know ....and good luck to you.

jpchen

Reaction score
I did the job in less than three hours by following the link at http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/egr_port_clogging.pdf, start from opening the Air Filter cover then the throttle body, mark every disconnected pipe/hose/wire, open the INTAKE MANIFOLD cover. My EGR port/hole was completely clogged, remove those carbon dust with small screw driver until open a hole to the bottom, use a ~half inch diameter test tube brush to clean the whole path/hole with periodically rinse the brush with gasoline, clean anywhere that is not clean before put it back. All of my gaskets were not damaged and reused. Cleaned the Throttle Body with the carburetor cleaner. I didn't use the drill and the tube from the Honda kit. My EGR valve area was relatively clean. The Check Engine light "On" disappeared by itself two days after cleaned the EGR port/hole.
Good lock!

sodaks2k

Reaction score
You bumped a 6 month old thread to give us info we already had...

I did the job in less than three hours by following the link at http://www.driveaccord.net/PDF/egr_port_clogging.pdf,

That PDF is already linked in this thread.

And if you read the next post (which obviously you didn't since you reposted the PDF) you would kniow this thread is about cleaning the 4 cylinder IM, not the V6 IM

mjmodi said:
Thats the TSB for the 6-cyl... which is a great post - but doesn't apply to the 4-cyl.

Thanks for trying to help though!

Last edited:

ZFreak

Reaction score
Just food for thought: My 98 4 cyl 5 speed (235k miles) threw the P0401 code about a week ago. I reset it with my scangauge and it hasn't come back on until this afternoon. I'm almost positive that the clogged EGR port is the cause. I'm going to order the gaskets as a precaution, as this is my daily driver and can't really afford any downtime other than on the weekends.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Let us know how it goes, post pics if you can! I know there are pics already, but the more the better really.

Last edited:

slowrider87

Reaction score
will the egr always trigger a CEL if its clogged no matter how badly? and can the egr cause power losses, particularly in the lower rpm's?

Back