Top Speed and 0-60 1998 Accord V6

slowrider87

Reaction score
I am not sure how to do multiple quotes and such so I will just reply how I can.

Lastly your comment about racing in an auto being pointless. How is it pointless? Is that any different from saying: Racing a stock car is pointless when you could be driving a race car. Or, Racing a 4 cylinder is pointless when you could be racing a 4 cylinder turbo. It just seems like a strange thing to say.

As for the bolded... it's the button next to the one that says "quote" that has """ and a "+" sign... that never clicked in your head as a possibility? God, I never thought i'd have to put a quotation mark in quotation marks... congrats kid you've taught me i need to lower my expectations of todays teens another notch.

As for you're argument on "Racing a 4 cylinder is pointless when you could be racing a 4 cylinder turbo". The operative statement there is the italicized and underlined words "when you could be". Your argument becomes null and void the second you are faced with the option of having the same two cars in front of you. One is N/A and the other Boosted, AND you have to choose the one that you think most likely to win a race. You have first pick, the other driver takes the other car. So go ahead genius, take your N/A 4 cyl, then race the other guy in the boosted one and tell me it's not pointless. Think about it kid.

On to my next point..

Having manual control of the clutch doesn't make the difference between a race and a cruise IMO. And manuals are going the way of the dinosaur slowly. I'm sure manuals will exist in some form but the move towards auto is coming fast and Automatic transmission of today are now becoming more efficient than manual shifting. But I won't deny a standard transmission can be very enjoyable and gives you more of a feeling of control.

You are either extremely naive, or terribly misinformed. Or, come to think of it, both.

A: Noone is talking about a "cruise". You just pulled that out of your *** for the sake off adding another pointless word to the clusterf*ck of opinions you are claiming to be facts due to you're apparent lack of any relevant knowledge on this subject.

B: Back to the "two of the same cars side by side" scenario from the previous session of attempted mechanical enlightenment. Take two of the same cars, one auto, and one manual. You drive the auto, and the other drive the manual. assuming the driver of the manual has known how to drive manual for more than a week you are 98% likely to lose (percentage completely made up but those following me understand). It's more than a feeling, a manual trans DOES give the driver complete control over his/her full powerband because he/she makes the decision when to shift and how long to stay in it. in an auto you do not have that same control, hence, "automatic".

You wanna do some research? Sign off of here and get you and your friends together for a track day. Then take turns driving each others cars down the strip, and learn what each one is capable of doing instead of asking useless questions and blabbering on about driving unsafely down public highways.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Slowrider, ease up man. When I joined this forum, I had no prior experience with forums so I did not know the idiosyncrasies of posting, quoting, etc. No need to rip the guy for it, we tell a lot of new members to use that function.

I am not sure how to do multiple quotes and such so I will just reply how I can.

To:RedRyder
Firstly I am getting pretty tired of hearing how this car or that car is slow. What the heck are you comparing it to? How fast must a car go before it is not considered to be slow? The Accord certainly has ample power driving out on public roads and I agree that the 4-speed auto holds the car back more than anything. IMO anything over 230HP starts to become excessive for a mid-size sedan in this weight class, and is much more sport. But the trend today is to have excessive power that will rarely if ever be actually used by most of the people who are buying the car.

This is the kind of thing I'm sick of hearing: "Oh, you're car only reaches 60mph in 8 seconds from a dead stop. That's so slow!" Are you kidding?!

Yes, I assumed the people I mentioned knew we were comparing power or I would not have mentioned it. You could call it racing but I wouldn't consider it so. As I always let off before I reach any kind of speed I consider to be risky. The BMWs I cannot recall what they were as I didn't know much about them at the time. Probably 3 series and I remember one was a 330 anymore specific I cannot be other than I am pretty sure, thinking back, that they were all 4th gen, E46.

You really think an upgraded intake and exhaust would do little to nothing to the performance of the car? I don't really believe that to be true. And certainly do not want it to be. I'd love to put in a new transmission. It's the one thing I hate about my accord but I am not close to experienced or rich enough to undertake a tranny swap.

Lastly your comment about racing in an auto being pointless. How is it pointless? Is that any different from saying: Racing a stock car is pointless when you could be driving a race car. Or, Racing a 4 cylinder is pointless when you could be racing a 4 cylinder turbo. It just seems like a strange thing to say.
Having manual control of the clutch doesn't make the difference between a race and a cruise IMO. And manuals are going the way of the dinosaur slowly. I'm sure manuals will exist in some form but the move towards auto is coming fast and Automatic transmission of today are now becoming more efficient than manual shifting. But I won't deny a standard transmission can be very enjoyable and gives you more of a feeling of control.

OP, in saying you don’t understand how the i4 could be faster than the V6, after it’s been explained a few times, and especially in saying you don’t think/want to believe that i/h/e bolt ons would make no difference after me telling you…saying the car is slow is all that can be said in an attempt to derail your notion that because it’s a V6 with a listed 200hp that it should automatically be faster than an i4. I appreciate your enthusiasm for this car, I love them as well, but you have to be open to the possibility that it’s not all you think it is and listen to reason. That is my interpretation based on what you’ve been saying, so take it for what you will. But if you’re tired of hearing it, then stop and listen to what we’ve been telling you since we’re all long time owners/modders, and just enjoy the Accord for what it is, a nice looking, somewhat fuel efficient, somewhat dependable, well built, cheap to own family car with sufficient power for daily needs.

As for what we’re comparing it to…this whole discussion has been comparing the V6 and i4 6GA Accords. And what’s faster? I’ll give the example of the crap Mercury Cougar of the same years, the 5spd V6 model would beat a 6GA. Yes, it pains me to say that because I would still take a 6GA over that car any day.

Your and my definitions of ‘racing’ are on completely different planes, so I’m just not going to go there. All I can say is, competitive driving between two parties is racing.

And yes. I do not ‘think’, but know that bolt ons like i/h/e will do little to nothing for these cars. The Accord was built for economy, any sort of racing pedigree just isn’t there. It’s a harsh reality that these cars require a lot of time and money to be fast. Bolt ons will make a nice sound, and maybe you’ll gain a a pony or two…but if you want a Honda that will respond to bolt ons, look for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT or 2004 and later Accord. If you don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. But spend some time searching the site and reading, and you’ll understand where I’m coming from.

As for racing with an auto, my opinion is the result of me being a purist. A manual gives you control over the car, and the power band. And this is what matters in racing, having readily available power on demand as a result of control of the torque curve. Autos are built for efficiency and comfort, unless you take a double clutch paddle shift transmission out of a Ferrari or the like, an auto will not let you rev as high. Or what about starting? Taking off from the line is the same every time in an auto, but with a manual you can choose to build up the revs then drop the clutch to launch, or you can choose to take off a different way depending on the vehicle’s setup. And most types of racing involve the use of manuals, F1, LeMans, Nascar, Dakar rally, etc etc etc. Objectively, I can’t really see how you can say “having manual control of the clutch doesn't make the difference between a race and a cruise”, but I guess you’re entitled to your opinion.

I think it’s sad that more cars are sold as autos than manuals these days in this country. I spent some time in Italy, and I walked down a street in Rome once and every car was a manual. The art of driving is far more alive in Europe, but that’s another point for another day.

Last edited:
Back