Top Speed and 0-60 1998 Accord V6

Snoobly

Reaction score
Slowrider, ease up man. When I joined this forum, I had no prior experience with forums so I did not know the idiosyncrasies of posting, quoting, etc. No need to rip the guy for it, we tell a lot of new members to use that function.

OP, in saying you don’t understand how the i4 could be faster than the V6, after it’s been explained a few times, and especially in saying you don’t think/want to believe that i/h/e bolt ons would make no difference after me telling you…saying the car is slow is all that can be said in an attempt to derail your notion that because it’s a V6 with a listed 200hp that it should automatically be faster than an i4. I appreciate your enthusiasm for this car, I love them as well, but you have to be open to the possibility that it’s not all you think it is and listen to reason. That is my interpretation based on what you’ve been saying, so take it for what you will. But if you’re tired of hearing it, then stop and listen to what we’ve been telling you since we’re all long time owners/modders, and just enjoy the Accord for what it is, a nice looking, somewhat fuel efficient, somewhat dependable, well built, cheap to own family car with sufficient power for daily needs.

As for what we’re comparing it to…this whole discussion has been comparing the V6 and i4 6GA Accords. And what’s faster? I’ll give the example of the crap Mercury Cougar of the same years, the 5spd V6 model would beat a 6GA. Yes, it pains me to say that because I would still take a 6GA over that car any day.

Your and my definitions of ‘racing’ are on completely different planes, so I’m just not going to go there. All I can say is, competitive driving between two parties is racing.

And yes. I do not ‘think’, but know that bolt ons like i/h/e will do little to nothing for these cars. The Accord was built for economy, any sort of racing pedigree just isn’t there. It’s a harsh reality that these cars require a lot of time and money to be fast. Bolt ons will make a nice sound, and maybe you’ll gain a a pony or two…but if you want a Honda that will respond to bolt ons, look for a 2003 Acura CL Type-S 6MT or 2004 and later Accord. If you don’t want to believe me, that’s fine. But spend some time searching the site and reading, and you’ll understand where I’m coming from.

As for racing with an auto, my opinion is the result of me being a purist. A manual gives you control over the car, and the power band. And this is what matters in racing, having readily available power on demand as a result of control of the torque curve. Autos are built for efficiency and comfort, unless you take a double clutch paddle shift transmission out of a Ferrari or the like, an auto will not let you rev as high. Or what about starting? Taking off from the line is the same every time in an auto, but with a manual you can choose to build up the revs then drop the clutch to launch, or you can choose to take off a different way depending on the vehicle’s setup. And most types of racing involve the use of manuals, F1, LeMans, Nascar, Dakar rally, etc etc etc. Objectively, I can’t really see how you can say “having manual control of the clutch doesn't make the difference between a race and a cruise”, but I guess you’re entitled to your opinion.

I think it’s sad that more cars are sold as autos than manuals these days in this country. I spent some time in Italy, and I walked down a street in Rome once and every car was a manual. The art of driving is far more alive in Europe, but that’s another point for another day.

This... is beautifully written. love and agree with the last paragraph. :thumbsup: lol!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Not just the art of driving there is more alive, mostly everything else too.. Including women, and passion. Just a different AMAZIN mentality there.. :jealousbow:

JetLife

Reaction score
I have an auto V6 and i manually shift the **** outta it and have a blast doing it. honestly I've raced a lot of modded Civic's celicas. i beat a Modded Rx-8. and i have an auto :henry:

wish i had a 6spd :eusa_wall:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
I have an auto V6 and i manually shift the **** outta it and have a blast doing it. honestly I've raced a lot of modded Civic's celicas. i beat a Modded Rx-8. and i have an auto :henry:

wish i had a 6spd :eusa_wall:

Yea and it was probably the base model that came with 15-20 less hp than a v6 6th gen. Have fun while it lasts because that transmission wont. :ugh2:

Back