Interior Update (finally!)

AccordUser

Reaction score
The Alcantara I bought for the miscellaneous pieces was $100/yd. It was purchased from the only US distributor (that I could find), Gulf Fabrics via JPM Coachworks.

:wtf1:Already out of my price range, how much did u need outta curiosity? 3yds? You did a great job, best I have seen, looks very OEM, but I would rather go and buy a mercedes if I got that kinda money sitting around, What was the total $ amount spent?

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Wow that looks really nice and it shows you did it right and with the right materials. Love the alcantara accents as well.
Any plans for doing the headliner to make it a darker color instead of tan?

HomerJay

Reaction score
I really envy this! Superb job you've done, and always good to see the custom work like this. Major props! Just out of curiosity, did your doors become noticeably heavy?

It's almost a whole sheet of Luxury Liner in each door. They're definitely heavier but it's not really noticeable when using the door. I did have to go back and forth two or three times because it did cause the door clips to pop. There were some areas where it didn't fit so well between the door panel and the door itself.

:wtf1:Already out of my price range, how much did u need outta curiosity? 3yds? You did a great job, best I have seen, looks very OEM, but I would rather go and buy a mercedes if I got that kinda money sitting around, What was the total $ amount spent?

The total is frightening. HA! A bit over $1,200 for leather, carpet, Alcantara, and soundproofing...could have been a little less as I screwed up the Alcantara and needed to buy more. I should have only used one yard but made too many mistakes early on so I had to buy a second yard. My justification (we all do it, right?...;)) is that it kept me busy for over 6 months. So at that rate, it's not too bad, I guess. I've been buying supplies since about March/April 2012. There is no note on the car. Since I can't afford a Mercedes note, this is what I do instead.

Thats amazing man! I love it.
whats the fleece tape around the wires do though?

I don't know if the tape is really doing anything. I saw it mentioned somewhere and it was cheap enough that I figured why not. The idea behind it is to keep the plastic from moving around and causing more noises. There are still various noises but she is much quieter than she was before.

Wow that looks really nice and it shows you did it right and with the right materials. Love the alcantara accents as well.
Any plans for doing the headliner to make it a darker color instead of tan?
I'm thinking of doing something with the headliner next year. At the very least, I want to put away what soundproofing is left from this phase. But, yeah, a darker color would be better. That's something I noticed right away: pollen and other airborne dust darkens the light material quite quickly.

HomerJay

Reaction score
Floor Soundproofing and Carpet

Here are a few more pictures from the carpet "phase" of the project. I actually did this before finishing the passenger's door and the rear panels.

I noticed that I forgot a picture of the after shot of the thing that started it all (so much more padding...:)):
20121206-01.jpg

Out with the old:
20121206-02.jpg

Before a day of scraping out the old soundproofing:
20121206-03.jpg

In all, I removed about 20 pounds of old soundproofing:
20121206-04.jpg

Cleaned out and ready for Damplifier Pro:
20121206-05.jpg

Yeah, I probably put too much in...oh, well...it was easier than cutting it:
20121206-06.jpg

Luxury Liner Pro installed under front seats and on rear floor:
20121206-07.jpg

20121206-08.jpg

20121206-09.jpg

I had installed pedal and footrest covers a while ago. The foot rest cover originally screwed into the factory plastic footrest:
20121206-10.jpg

Since I was able to remove the piece to which the footrest was attached, I drilled and tapped it so the foot rest cover would be attached more securely:
20121206-11.jpg

20121206-12.jpg

20121206-13.jpg

For the rear seat soundproofing I decided to have some fun with dry ice! Unlike the various videos out there, it really requires no hammering. The only time I used a hammer was to break the ice into pieces. I just moved it from area to area and popped off the old soundproofing. Note: The time from the first picture to the last is about 30 minutes.
20121206-14.jpg

20121206-15.jpg

20121206-16.jpg

Once again, Damplifier Pro:
20121206-17.jpg

And then Luxury Liner Pro:
20121206-18.jpg

The dry ice lasted longer than I thought it would. I was able to do both the rear seat area and the trunk with two 4 pound blocks.
20121206-19.jpg

20121206-20.jpg

Clearly I'm trying to use up what I have...put some more Damplifier Pro and Luxury Liner Pro on the sides of the trunk:
20121206-21.jpg

20121206-22.jpg

And the trunk floor (no Luxury Liner Pro here):
20121206-23.jpg

But I made sure to use it where I could...:p...I figured why not? It was either use it here or throw it away.
20121206-24.jpg

20121206-25.jpg

New carpet ready for install:
20121206-26.jpg

Making the first cut (no return now):
20121206-27.jpg

Which was unfortunate because once it was installed, it came up short on one side. I used some carpet tape to fix it but not really what I planned on:
20121206-28.jpg

Finished!
20121206-29.jpg

20121206-30.jpg

Hopefully the wrinkles come out once it gets warm next year. I would advise against installing a carpet in November as even when it's sunny, it's not warm enough to work out any wrinkles. At least the suggestion from the manufacturer is to leave it out in the sun to help get rid of wrinkles.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Love the attention to detail.

So, what exactly is the purpose of the dry ice?

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
So, what exactly is the purpose of the dry ice?
^Freezing adhesives in order to remove soundproofing.

This is one of my long awaiting goals, and thanks for sharing with us; I really enjoyed looking at this DIY. Enjoy your quiet, comfy, and new-car-smell ride. :driving:

Back