DIY: Installing a Rearview Camera

crossfire

Reaction score
Is there another way to view it besides the Pioneer navi?
You could always get a standalone rearview mirror or monitor for your car. If you don't want a new headunit the mirrors run about $150. There is one on amazon that look quite impressive. The rearview mirror acts as a backup camera and GPS.

crossfire

Reaction score
OT, how do you like the pioneer navi? thoughts?:coffee:
I think it's great! I really enjoy it even though it has some shortcomings, but I am able to look past it for all the great things it does. If you really want a flawless headunit I'd go with the older Avic-X910BT or F90BT because those are actually hackable. My headunit is currently in the process of being hack. And IIRC you are able to run many of the popular navigation programs like Garmin on your headunit. I got my headunit for basically half price at $520 from Amazon. They will occasionally have these sales so keep your eye out. I ended up going with a Pioneer because they offered the best value out of all the navigation headunits. When it came to researching its really about picking the most afforadable headunit with the least shortcomings or the ones that won't affect you. Because they ALL have them.

A upcoming update for my 920BT is a bluetooth update that will allow me to control my iPhone/stream music and videos all over bluetooth!

A good forum to check out for pioneer navigation systems is AVIC411.com they have everything you will need to know on Pioneer systems.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

Raul

Reaction score
I think it's great! I really enjoy it even though it has some shortcomings, but I am able to look past it for all the great things it does. If you really want a flawless headunit I'd go with the older Avic-X910BT or F90BT because those are actually hackable. My headunit is currently in the process of being hack. And IIRC you are able to run many of the popular navigation programs like Garmin on your headunit. I got my headunit for basically half price at $520 from Amazon. They will occasionally have these sales so keep your eye out. I ended up going with a Pioneer because they offered the best value out of all the navigation headunits. When it came to researching its really about picking the most afforadable headunit with the least shortcomings or the ones that won't affect you. Because they ALL have them.

A upcoming update for my 920BT is a bluetooth update that will allow me to control my iPhone/stream music and videos all over bluetooth!

A good forum to check out for pioneer navigation systems is AVIC411.com they have everything you will need to know on Pioneer systems.

Feel free to ask anymore questions.

i have a discontinued pioneer avh-p4000dvd. Man i miss having gps, bluetooth. Currently, I wana get a new h/u. This is what I want:

- Navi (preferably in 3D)
- 6.1" Touchscreen
- BT
- Voice Recognition (i love this feature on my buddy's oem acura csx navigation)
- DVD

I was looking into clarion but i dont mind a pioneer either. Any advice?

crossfire

Reaction score
i have a discontinued pioneer avh-p4000dvd. Man i miss having gps, bluetooth. Currently, I wana get a new h/u. This is what I want:

- Navi (preferably in 3D)
- 6.1" Touchscreen
- BT
- Voice Recognition (i love this feature on my buddy's oem acura csx navigation)
- DVD

I was looking into clarion but i dont mind a pioneer either. Any advice?
IF you want good 3D I think the flagship Pioneer would have to be the one. The 3D on my 920BT is not really 3D it's a tilted 2D really. The Z120BT would be the older one that has true 3D where it shows actual buildings. That unit will have everything you mentioned. For voice commands, no headunit would be that great compared to OEM systems. It might be different if we had dedicated steering wheel controls for voice commands. But, having to reach down and hit the button make voice controls pretty pointless. Because once your hand's down there you might as well do whatever you wanted voice commands to do for you. I never use mine anymore. It's cool to play with but no good without SWC. Bluetooth will work great on any Pioneer with it built in, just don't buy the DVD ones where you have to add navigation and bluetooth. Those modules add up and make the HU more expensive and they won't let you do a bypass either.

I was looking at Clarion when I bought mine. But, the $520 deal made be buy the Pioneer unit immediately. Because that's only slightly more expensive than Clarion and you will get a reputable brand that has good customer service. Clarions are good, but if you can afford a Pioneer get that instead. I would honestly, wait for Amazon's deal or buy one of the older units off eBay. My headunit is probably worth $500 new now.

crossfire

Reaction score
What about Pioneer AVIC-X930BT? Also i was looking into SONY double din navi units.
The 930BT is a good choice. I would say if you can afford it get it. It really depends on what your budget is. As for Sony headunits I voted against them because they were out of my budget range. For GPS it's going to be more expensive than the Pioneer. Sony's interface does look very clean though. Is GPS important to you? Because different headunits use different ones. I believe Kenwood uses garmin and sony uses tomtom. So if you have a preference that's something important to look at.

hellfire127

Reaction score
Yea I would go with a kenwood if you want a nice gps headunit. You just can't beat the garmin on it.

Back