Car Alarm System

HillACCORD

Reaction score
alright guys, my next big project is going to be the car alarm since ive put a lot of money into the audio equipment. i need to know what type of alarm system is the best, and if there are any DIY for install, because i really want to install it myself. i have a 98 LX. i would really appreciate a good diy or just some tips. when i found out that it would cost me around 500 bucks for best buy to buy and install, i knew i needed to do it myself. i want a keyless entry and car alarm, but im not sure if i want remote start because ive heard stuff about a remote start on a standard, which i have.

white beauty

Reaction score
i dont know if id mess with installing a car alarm, unless i really knew what i was doing, then again i wouldnt trust best buy as well, take it somewhere where they do only car stereo and alarm, itll probably be cheaper, 500 bucks is alot, i got a clifford matrix for 250 installed, its not remote start, but it has 2-way pager which is all i need and want

Nittanys1

Banned
Reaction score
there is a lot that goes into installing an alarm. I recommend going to a local audio shop a few times trying to make some friends there and having them do the work. you could always go online a buy what the sell in their stores for less and then have them install it. I did that with my compstar alarm and saves a little over $100

jbuff

Reaction score
i wouldnt even think about trying to install an alarm/keyless/etc....if it takes a reputable shop with years of knowledge 4 hours to install something, i cant imagine what it would take you, basing that on the fact that you came on here asking for tips....wait another week or two and have it done at a audio/alarm shop

jess

Tek_Rice

Reaction score
Agreed with everyone.....

also, for an alarm, the install is more important than the actual system.... if you have a 600 dollar alarm with a noob install.... it completely defeats the purpose...

ccordex00

Reaction score
Don't ever trust Best Buy...I have tons of complains against those guys, especially the one on PCH and Hawthorne....Find a local shop and ask em about the different systems.
+1 a good system is worthless without a proper install

Tx_Accord98

Reaction score
i wouldnt even think about trying to install an alarm/keyless/etc....if it takes a reputable shop with years of knowledge 4 hours to install something, i cant imagine what it would take you, basing that on the fact that you came on here asking for tips....wait another week or two and have it done at a audio/alarm shop

jess

it does not take years of knowledge to install a car alarm. i have never done it before until i installed mine. everything works with the factory alarm and has remote start. all it takes is knowing how things work and how to find the install for the accord on the net.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
I've seen best buy jobs that have been amazing and reputable shops with wireing issues out the ***. And everything in between. Talk to people in your area, rather than word of mouth with chain stores because they will be different.

I highly recommend you get something with an immobilizer system (i don't know if the factory one will work, or if the lx has one), pager, etc. Don't get just an alarm, that will only deter the most amature of thefts.

DK888

Reaction score
alright guys, my next big project is going to be the car alarm since ive put a lot of money into the audio equipment. i need to know what type of alarm system is the best, and if there are any DIY for install, because i really want to install it myself. i have a 98 LX. i would really appreciate a good diy or just some tips. when i found out that it would cost me around 500 bucks for best buy to buy and install, i knew i needed to do it myself. i want a keyless entry and car alarm, but im not sure if i want remote start because ive heard stuff about a remote start on a standard, which i have.

PM me your email address and I'll send you the diagram to wire up an alarm into your 98LX. Also, see this if you would like add even more security such as the MFC Anywhere V3 kit.

DIY: http://www.diyhappy.com/how-to-install-a-remote-controltracking-system-mfc-in-your-ride-2/

Back