turboing a high milage car?

KingVlad

Reaction score
Hey guys i have a 98 lx that has approximatly 204,000 miles on it. Im thinking of turboing it even though it has the high miles. Im not saying making it high performance or anything. Im just thinking to make it only about 5-6 psi. Something i can feel but wont wreck my motor lol. So do you guys have any ideas? Should i even do it at all? It has the f22 sohc vtec in it. Thanks alot !

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I don’t have experience with TC’ing a car. But if you take the motor apart, clean things up, replace worn parts, gaskets/seals, etc (mini overhaul), and run a low psi…I think you would be fine. I don’t know much about F series motors but if they’re built anything like a J, they’re tanks and will run forever.

I’d be more concerned about your transmission, honestly. Is the car auto?

KingVlad

Reaction score
Oh okay okay, I don't really have a lot of knowledge with overhauling but ill learn lol and yes it is auto

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yeah I mean with that mileage, adding forced induction would necessitate the renewal/reconditioning of some parts I would think. Talk to RussianRed, he could help you out. Or search, there are many people who have TC'd their i4's on here.

If I was in your position, I would do a 5spd swap first to safeguard the car and the turbo project. Plus a 5spd swap alone would make the car much more fun to drive, even by itself.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
do all the tests to ensure that the motor is still healthy.. easiest one is the compression test... the ringlands on the f23s are notoriously weak, so watch out for tht

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Aren't F-series engines fairly easy to come by?

I would source out a cheap one with low mileage, and start with a potentially more reliable engine. You are going to have to replace seals, gaskets, etc, so you might as well do it on an engine that has alot of life left in it.

Back