★ Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! ★ *UPDATED 4/15* ★

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 9/2/10*

Another conclusion I have made from the tuner failing to do his job...

The first time he tuned, he set fuel/ECU cut-off at 9psi. We were tuning to 7psi, and he set the safety for everything to cut out at 9psi IN CASE OF BOOST SPIKE. This time, he blows up my car, tells me my turbo was too small causing the boost spike. In reality - he forgot to first set the safety limit at 12psi (I'm assuming the boost spiked to around 20psi), and second, ONLY THEN should he have ran my car on the dyno, and messed with the greddy boost controller adjusting the gain properly to account for the boost spike, which SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY RPEVENTED by the safety feature which he clearly used the first time he tuned and failed to engage this second time.

In addition to the other details and faults I have collected, do I have a solid enough case on it now to throw it in his face and make him right his wrong?

Like I said - I'm building my own engine now, but I still want some justice and compensation from that worthless motherf*cker.

Fuzz

Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 10/10/10*

Wow, big thread, nice build - looks like it should be a monster when its done.

My buddy does tuning for Hondas. I've watched him tune some pretty nice cars and I've heard some pretty crazy stories. I like watching him tune - looks simple but there is a lot of information that needs to get processed!

When a car gets tuned, the tuner always asks certain questions. Is the block stock, what turbo, what boost, etc. It allows him to form an opinion, and also depending on what he has seen before he might say, "oh, you should be able to run xxx".

After doing all the basic part throttle mapping, and you start to get into the pulls - you traditionally keep going until the engine just simply does not make any more power. At 10PSI, if the car made more power than at 9psi, then chances are if you went to 11psi you would make some more power. Same goes for timing - you advance it until you top making power, and then back it off slightly.

For the torque / hp reading, whenever your at low rpm, your engine will always have more torque than HP. This is standard. TQ is always higher than HP until you hit 5252rpm - the "cross over" point. HP is nothing more than an equasion based off of torque.

When tuners are tuning the car - if they are good - they are always ears open and eyes wide. They watch the dyno for things they don't like... they see the AF start to take a dive or climb, the PSI spike or dip, or flutter. The torque dip too much. They hear a knock or a ping or some other sound they don't like.

One run the car was fine - the next it blew up. It was it's time I think. You said it blew up at low load - which means you probably weren't even IN BOOST. Even if you stopped at 10psi.. the motor would have probably died driving it home. If you had a boost spike on the dyno - the tuner would have stopped the pull right away and starting looking at the connections and settings to figure out what happened to cause it.

Oh, and I also agree with..

Honda Ignition System does handle up to 500+WHP, ODB1 + Chrome/eCtune/Hondata is the way to go. They can even control an electronic boost seloniod.

MSD Products for Import Cars - Not a good idea. Racepak is good though :)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Thanks for that detailed info man.

The problem was that the tuner did NOT stop the pull when the boost spiked. He needed to have the safety ceiling feature enabled for ECU shutoff when a certain PSI is reached (Like he did for my first tune!!). This way, even if the boost spiked, it would have saved the engine. HE failed to do that. The reason boost spiked so much in the first place, is because he DID NOT KNOW how to adjust the gain on the Greddy Profec B boost controller, to account for any boost spike that may occur. For these reasons and no other did my engine blow!

Not because the turbo is too small... that's a crock of sh*t.

If he tuned it properly, and using as much care as he did the first tune (7PSI), if he really cared, it would have been fine at 10 and 11 PSI.. It would not have died on the way home, and ran hard for years to come. He carelessly blew my sh*t up and said - sorry that sucks. I am going to compile an itemized list of where he went wrong and throw it in his face, in front of the whole shop crew and customers.

Thanks, I'll stick with the OEM Honda ignition most likely, unless it starts cutting out at higher boost levels. I'll def need a bigger MAP sensor. I also appreciate the info about the crossover point, I did not know this.

akoutmos

Reaction score

That sucks Nikita the your motor got destroyed like that. Every shop owner that has a dyno thinks they can tune now days, its ridiculous. That kinda **** is unacceptable. And how can a tuner not know how to adjust the Greddy Profec?? Its one of the most common boost controllers out there. Freakin idiot. Did he give you any compensation for the **** he pulled?

Glad to hear that you are gonna rebuild.

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

The only compensation he gave me was: sorry, that sucks. You still have to pay me $125 for the tune, and $25 for adjusting Greddy boost controller

Can you F*CKIN believe that????? :eekwtf:

I mean I can't really express through this forum how I feel about it. Really I can't even explain it with words.

Onward and upwards though, that's in the past. :jerkit:

akoutmos

Reaction score

that's ridiculous, the nerve of people. makes me wanna beat his ***. same thing kinda happened to me way back when. tried to get the accord tuned at a shop. i did all the setting up like wideband and wiring harness adjustments to the aem, all they had to do was tune. turns out they didn't know how to use AEM like they said, almost blew up the motor, and took $200 and didn't even tune it. at that point i promised never to take my car to anyone again. rather blow up the motor myself and learn and put the money i would have spent back into the car.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

CP oversize pistons in the mail. Going to pick up the block itself today! :run:

Atreidies

Reaction score

You taking it to T1 in Dallas for the tune this time?:cool:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score