00 sedan major power loss going up mountain FLASHING CEL

wu_tang

Reaction score
update: 11/24/12
i was driving through the same stretch of highway and about 5 minutes in to the incline the car starts misfiring and flashing the CEL again. pulled over and the idle was really rough so i turned off the engine, disconencted the batt neg and checked the oil level (it was fine) i re connected the batt and another 3 minutes after going uphill the problem started again. as soon as the road levels out the misfire stops and and the CEL stops flashing, has driven perfectly fine since.

i noticed its only does this when im carrying passengers. i went up the same incline about 1 month ago by myself and there was no problems at all

edit: 6-10-12
car has been driving fine as long as i keep the oil level in check until today. i was driving to eibach and started losing power bad up the mountains in the i-5. so bad that my CEL started flashing. pulled off to check the oil level (its was fine) then drove off after the mountains everything was smooth WTF

Last edited:

kwak123

Teehee
Reaction score
Re: "power" cuts out during moderate to brisk acceleration. f23 with 5 spd manual

battery/alternator okay? notice any electrical losses?

wu_tang

Reaction score
Re: "power" cuts out during moderate to brisk acceleration. f23 with 5 spd manual

CEL just came one, code p1259 "manufacturer control air fuel metering"

according to what iv found the vtec system is full of fail, or low oil. i checked and yes im very low despite the fact that i just did the change a few weeks ago.

im going to add oil delete the code and drive it, pray that fixes the problem

wu_tang

Reaction score
Re: "power" cuts out during moderate to brisk acceleration. CEL p1259

added oil, deleted the light with my scanner (Ca doesnt allow the autoparts stores to do it for free) and its back to normal

-i have a small leak coming from what i think is the main seal on the transmission side of the engine. it doesnt leak much when its cold and sits overnight, so my guess is that once i am driving around and the oil heats up it leaks much more but obviously i cant see it like i can in my driveway

SomethingRandom

Reaction score
Any visible stains in the top half of the engine bay, say around the valve cover? also, take a look behind the oil pan itself, should be a bit of oil staining, wipe it off and check for new deposits every few days, should help you identify if there is a leak in the oil pan gasket. If nada, well, you're prob burning it, bit more work involved there if its a valve seal.

jwong512

Reaction score
Are you running high mileage oil? It probably won't fix your issue but it should buy you some time from your gas guzzling oil so quickly. I personally use Mobil 1 HM 5W-30 and my oil burning from 1qt every 2k went from about 0.5-1qt per 5k which is my oil change interval. I would bring it into a shop if you aren't mechanically inclined to fix it cause it sounds like your seal is leaking oil badly and causing your gas to bog down to prevent any permanent damages. Can you rev above 4k rpm?

wu_tang

Reaction score
Its leaking the oil. Theres drops here and there on my driveway so im pretty sure its not burning it. O was reading that a flashing CEL could be a missfire.

Back