02 Honda Accord LX Tachometer Issue

bocas0225

Reaction score
I have an 2002 Honda Accord Coupe LX 2.3L 5 speed manual.... I just recently changed from stock bulbs on my gauge cluster to LEDs. I also had to order new sockets as well due to the fact that most of my sockets were messed up cuz the idiot I bought the car from put the wrong kind of LED in the sockets and then soldered them in. I noticed that one of my sockets had a wire connected to it but I wasnt able to use it anymore due to the fact that the idiot had out solder down into the plug hole and he had the wires cut to connect a soldering LED due to the fact that the lights on the cluster werent working. When I replaced the wired socket with just a regular socket with no wire to it, My tachometer stopped working properly. When I turn my lights on may it be just the parking lights or turn the lights all the way on, the tach will jump up to 2k and stay there. When I start driving, the tach needle will start to move but I know the RPM is not right. Can anyone help me figure out this issue please!!!!!?????

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mf_pcwhack: :mf_pcwhack: :mf_pcwhack: :mf_pcwhack: :mf_pcwhack:

james'99

Reaction score
Does it react properly to how the engine is running and the calibration is just off? Or is the operation wacky altogether. i.e. up, down, up, down.

bocas0225

Reaction score
The reaction is weird all together cuz, when I don't turn the parking lights on James the tach doesn't move at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
The reaction is weird all together cuz, when I don't turn the parking lights on James the tach doesn't move at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like you're gonna be in the market for a cluster honestly. There is too much on that board that could be an issue. There is clearly a short somewhere. This will be very hard to diagnose on this end unfortunately. Maybe someone has experience? Sorry buddy.

If you do have to replace, get one for an LX 5 speed coupe on ebay and swap over the odometer electronics. The EX one will have a light for ABS and other additional items.

james'99

Reaction score

bocas0225

Reaction score

bocas0225

Reaction score
No the Face and the motherboard are completely seperate from each other. The Face has a motor attached to it. It just goes back connected onto the motherboard

james'99

Reaction score
No the Face and the motherboard are completely seperate from each other. The Face has a motor attached to it. It just goes back connected onto the motherboard

So there is only one main motherboard for the entire cluster and no real electronics on the tach so I think we are back to square 1.

Last edited:
Back