02 Honda Accord SE 2.3l 4cyl Vtec oil burn

Souryu

Reaction score
Hey guys,

this problem has been going on for about 2 months now, I believe it started when my buddy and I changed out my spark plugs, but I didn't notice it until I got a vtec failure and my car refused to shift.

After doing an oil change, we went to do the spark plugs, my friend took one of them out, and then stupidly put it back in, even though I told him we were going to get some plugs in another car. The plug ended up getting broken in the column and we had to spend about an hour trying to vacuum all of the pieces out. Oddly enough, when we finally got everything taken care of and the engine started, I heard a loud hitting/cracking noise that made me jump. I wasn't sure what it was but it didnt sound good. I tested my car for awhile and everything was fine.

I then noticed about a month later that it was burning oil. I'll just now be able to get it fixed (this week), but I'm wondering: Could something have happened if there was a tiny piece of the old plug inside the column? I need to know if I would have to replace the O rings in the engine, or if it would be the valve seals or something worse.

Quick replies would be appreciated, as I'm going to have it fixed monday.

Gman86

Reaction score
Sounds like something got into the cylinder and you mayve cracked a piston or ruined the rings on that cylinder. Have you done a compression test? Are you seeing any smoke out of the back of the car? Id start there first.

Last edited:

Souryu

Reaction score
Sounds like something got into the cylinder and you mayve cracked a piston or ruined the rings on that cylinder. Have you done a compression test? Are you seeing any smoke out of the back of the car? Id start there first.

Well, I sure as hell hope that I didn't crack a piston or ruin the rings. No I haven't done a compression test though, how can I go about doing that? This same person that did the sparkplugs with me said a week ago that he saw black smoke come out of my exhaust.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Comp test: remove ALL plugs, then use tool one hole at a time, crank ~5x to know each

Back