12in vs 10 in Subwoofers

AFAccord

Reaction score
try this song to experiment young jeezy feat akon- soul survivor, and tell me which sounds bettter 10" or 12"

8's. :hihi:

EDIT: Seriously tho, the woofer design itself is more important than the size. You can get similar results with an 8" or an 18". In highschool, I built a box with twenty-four 4" drivers just to prove this point.

Last edited:

swollen_cu

Reaction score
JL audio all the way! I hate kickers... i mean they knock and hit really hard, but its not clean at all.. They skip so many notes and dont have a wide range of frequency.

I have a 500/1 powering a 12w6 in a ported box. I push that amp all day playing my music loud, and its barely warm to the touch, Its as warm as putting something in the microwave for 7 seconds!

NINaudio

Reaction score
You really can't compare sizes across brands or even model numbers. If you really want to generalize, you could say that within the same model of speaker, the 12" would generally play lower than frequencies louder than the 10" would. That's pretty much the only assumption you could make. Wildman and others have pretty much said everything else I could say, so I'll leave it at that.

pattywak

Reaction score
What is the difference between SQ or SPL or whatever? I hear people talking about, "If you want SPL, do this. If you want SQ, do this." I have no idea what these letters mean.

AFAccord

Reaction score
Sound Quality or
Sound Pressure Level

Whether you're going for quality or quantity. A good speaker and well designed box with the right amount of power can do both very well.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
and to make things more confusing you might hear SQL pretty often too, which just means it's designed to do both.

whenever you go for SPL or SQ, you compromise the performance of the other. SQL tries to find the best balance

Back