2000 Accord Crank No Start

iStagl

Reaction score
Right, so let me start by saying I'm not a genius when it comes to Hondas. I specialize more in BMW and Subaru. With that being said, I bought this Accord a few days ago with it not running. Cranks but does not start. It has no fuel and it has no spark. The timing belt is most definitely intact still, I had an Accord many moons ago that ate the belt so now it was the first thing I checked.

When you're cranking the car, there is a green light in the instrument cluster with a picture of a key in it. I'm assuming this might be an issue with an immobilizer. I've already replaced the main relay under the dash and it still did nothing. I have learned that there was an ignition recall on these cars some years ago, and it does not appear as if anything has been changed once I got down to it.

When the key is in the ON position, all of the dash lights are on including the CEL, (I remember this was important on my 95 accord when it wouldn't fire up) but when I shut the key off and remove it from the ignition, the dash lights stay on, and sort of flicker. This leads me to believe either a bad ignition switch (like it's not picking up that the key is doing what it is supposed to, or its shorting out) or maybe a bad PCM.

I appreciate all input and advice given to me on this issue. Thank you in advance!

james'99

Reaction score
I doubt the ignition switch to be the issue. It cranks. That is all the ignition switch really does when it is turned. If the dash lights are on, so is everything else needed for the car to run. The green immobilizer light is flashing on the dash when the key is turned on while you are cranking. It should only ever blink when you turn off the key. Therefore, that is where your issue lies. What kind of key does the car have?

I don't know what component actually reads the key but I believe it is in the ECU because I have heard of people taping keys from the cars that they swapped their ECUs from to make it work till they could get that reprogrammed.

Last edited:

iStagl

Reaction score
It has been a few days since I have been able to mess with the car, but if I remember correctly the immobilizer light is solidly illuminated when the key is on and when cranking.

I figured it could possibly be the ignition switch because when the key is shut off, all of the dash lights stay on, even when I remove the key from the ignition.

NatJam

Reaction score
It reads they key with a sensor mounted in a plastic ring around the ignition cylinder. My car had similar symptoms and found that one of the wires that go to the sensor to read the key was barely broken. Also maybe try another key if you have one

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

james'99

Reaction score
It has been a few days since I have been able to mess with the car, but if I remember correctly the immobilizer light is solidly illuminated when the key is on and when cranking.

I figured it could possibly be the ignition switch because when the key is shut off, all of the dash lights stay on, even when I remove the key from the ignition.

Well, that's your problem. The lights are staying on. The car is staying on. The immobilizer is never being reset. The immobilizer is reset by cycling the key on and off. Unplug the battery with the key in the ignition. Then plug it back in. Theoretically, it should read the key and then when you crank it, it should start up. If that doesn't work, try leaving the key in the ignition and unplugging the ignition switch and then plugging it back in. Doing this should not only simulate cycling the key, But confirm that the bad part is the ignition switch.

iStagl

Reaction score
I'll definitely give that a shot James. I found 4 additional keys in the center console and tried to start it with all of them and it did the same thing

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Nothing worked when cycling power?

Harder tests then...

First see if you have spark. A timing light thing that clips on a wire to get signal will work. When you crank!

Next I'd check injector signal. They all get power always (iirc) so make sure that's there. The ecu controls ground, does that ever show up? An easy way to check them both at once: feel one while cranking. You should feel it 'click' every-other rev.

james'99

Reaction score
I'll definitely give that a shot James. I found 4 additional keys in the center console and tried to start it with all of them and it did the same thing

Try my procedure with all of them. Only 3 of the 5 keys can possibly work.

iStagl

Reaction score
They all get power always (iirc) so make sure that's there. The ecu controls ground, does that ever show up? An easy way to check them both at once: feel one while cranking. You should feel it 'click' every-other rev.

Where exactly should I be checking ground? Main engine grounds? Injector grounds?

Try my procedure with all of them. Only 3 of the 5 keys can possibly work.

Okay, If this does not work, should I suspect ignition itself? Pcm?

Back