2000 Accord Sedan PS to Rack and Pinion Swap

Reaction score
Hey guys I've posted a couple of threads already but none have been responded to involving my future plans and my current CEL issues...anyways I have already removed my power steering belt due to my A/C belt squeaking like crazy mainly from my bad misfire (but yes it stopped squeaking 90% or so) well my question is would it be worth removing my cars power steering completely to go to standard rack & pinion? I actually like my car better without it I guess it gives me a better driving experience overall and I've heard a car with PS tends to weigh more is this true (obviously a little but i mean like 100 Lbs. Or more than without PS) also will keeping my car the way it is damage anything? It's been this way a few months without issues but the PS lines are still connected only the belt is removed that's it am I looking at issues? And would swapping to straight rack and pinion be worth it? Thanks alot!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is no manual p/s rack option for our cars. If you have the know how, you could remove the rack and the valve bodies inside to make it easier to turn the wheel so there's less resistance but that's about it.

I'd suggest just putting a new belt on

SupraGuy

Reaction score
You aren't going to lose a lot of weight by removing the power steering, and even if you did, it's not likely to help a lot.

I know that some Supra guys do swap to manual steering. in their case, what they did was look for a car with a similar input shaft placement, and a similar end-to-end span. For the Toyota A71 chassis, apparently a Ford Mustang rack works with a little bit of fab work needed to mate the steering shaft, and tie rod ends to the manual rack. I haven't read much on that swap, since I have no interest whatsoever in actually doing it. I like my power steering.

If you actually want to do this, you'll have some research to do with the steering rack dimensions. You won't be able to do it with a part for your car, but there may be other manual PS racks that work.

All that said, your efforts are probably much better spent fixing your stumbling issue.

Reaction score
Alright thanks it's not really a very big deal to me I was just wondering because I've seen people act like power steering is one their worst enemies in the weight department but I noticed the pump isn't heavy so idk lol...I'd prefer to just drive it how it is there really is no point in doing all the hard work to it and probably not feeling accomplished afterwards plus that could end a sale if I decide to sell it and they're looking for PS lol...but all in all is it safe to on my power steering and everything to drive it with all the lines and everything connected just the belt removed?

Back