2001 Coupe speaker upgrade

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
Sketch o5 said:
i cant really help ya with the doors, but check out ryans's thread that he mentioned, that helped me out a little.
ill do a diy with plenty of pics on fitting my big-a$$ crossovers, speakers and tweeters when i get around to doing it. man i hope theyll fit. gotta get another amp too. so much to do!

gimpgutter

Reaction score
That would be greatly appreciated, Ryan S. In the meantime, i hope to get a pair up and running soon.

Sketch, here are pics of my Black Beauty http://community.webshots.com/album/364771559QJfBQh

I hope she went to a good home who could give her a new air suspension.

Wanna hear something funny? I was looking on ebay for a pair of infinity components and came accross an old pair...the Kappa 60CS, brand new in the box. These were made in the mid to late 90's and a guy had a pair for sale. Turns out he is from the next town over and is into car audio competitions. He knows his stuff well. But get this: He had another pair of the Kappa's in his 5th gen accord, but he also had 3 more sets of the 60CS. One went in a Civic, and the other went in a 6th gen accord. So i hope to talk to him later in the week and see if he can give me a hand installing these. I hope he is a nice guy and willing to.

PhattyT

Reaction score
sorry to bring back an old thread but i have an 01 accord sedan ex and i want to replace the front and rears... i see that the group forum has a discount on "elemental designs" and was wonder if they sold speakers on their site? and would the replacements be much of an improvement with the stock in-dash unit? i really like the 6 disc cd changer XD

talontsiawd

Reaction score
For the fronts, nothing will fit if you don't cut the stock holders. Outside of that, i think you have a pretty good depth. My kappa componets fit with no problems at all. My kappa 3 ways just barely fit on bottom and on top.

Anyway, i think you should be fine on the front. For the back, if you need to use a spacer, you could always fiberglass a bit more material on the stock grills. Usually you would just replace the grill but it has the guide for the seatbelt. Then just be creative how you attach it. I'd probably epoxy some wood to the bottom of the grill, then drill into them from the bottom.

Or you can cut out the grill section carefully and then put and aftermarekt grill on top of that, giving you more clearance on top.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
PhattyT said:
sorry to bring back an old thread but i have an 01 accord sedan ex and i want to replace the front and rears... i see that the group forum has a discount on "elemental designs" and was wonder if they sold speakers on their site? and would the replacements be much of an improvement with the stock in-dash unit? i really like the 6 disc cd changer XD

you can get the edi 6000 component set from elemental designs for $95 w/ the special pricing. I haven't personally heard that speaker set from ED, but knowing the guys who work there and having heard some of their other products it will definitely be an improvement over stock for sound quality.

if by "improvement" you mean more bass though, just get a sub.

PhattyT

Reaction score
^ does the 6000 set come with 4 speakers though? and for the bass part... i don't really need that much of bass, just a little bit more would be fine XD

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
each set comes with a mid and a tweeter for each side, along with crossovers.

difference between 6000's and 6500's is quality of parts, etc.

PhattyT

Reaction score
^ oh i see, what are crossovers? i saw the pics and i take it that those boxes are the crossovers, but what do they do? i have no knowledge about audio speakers =/ except for the fact that my fronts are 6.5 and my rears are 6x9 =/

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
crossovers tell which speakers to play which frequencies. they can make or break a component set a lot of the time.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
PhattyT said:
^ oh i see, what are crossovers? i saw the pics and i take it that those boxes are the crossovers, but what do they do? i have no knowledge about audio speakers =/ except for the fact that my fronts are 6.5 and my rears are 6x9 =/
Cross over basically send anything above a certain frequency to the tweeter and something below a certain frequency to a woofer. Or if you have 3-4 speakers in the same system (very rare for cars), it will split them up accordingly. You obviously don't want the lowend to go though your tweeter, and with components, you don't want your high end going through the woofer. Many people assume components and 2 ways (coaxles) are the same thing, but the cross over is a big part of why they will sound better.

Back