Trade: 2001 Honda Accord F23A1

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Engine owners often stray from manufacturers' recommendations regarding viscosity of oils. The engine builders dyno-test their engines using a specific viscosity oil, so when you use the viscosity they recommend, you are working with a known result. Going to another viscosity is an experiment, but it's usually a harmless one. For the sake of efficiency you want to run the lightest grade oil in your engine possible, within limits. We are seeing that trend for newer engines, for which the recommended grade is getting progressively lighter. The common 10W/30 has become a 5W/30, and some manufacturers even recommend 5W/20 oil. On the other hand, we can't see (in oil analysis) where it hurts anything to run heavier 10W/30s or even 10W/40s in modern automotive engines. The heavier oils provide more bearing film, and that's important at the lower end. If your oil is too light, the bearing metals can increase. If the oil is too heavy, the upper end metals can increase. The trick is to find the right viscosity for your particular engine, which is why we suggest following the manufacturer's recommendation.

O and my v6 states 5W-20 on the oil cap, however I use 5W-30 for thickness

sourceclick

Last edited:

clutchkiickerr

Reaction score
My cap states 5w-20 but I also used 5w-30 on my f-series and am also using it in my h-series.

i most certainly didnt know that, I mean i did because its on the oil cap but didnt follow through because of the high mileage it has so i used high mileage oil for it. Up until now the motor is still going and it accelerates great so idk how this whole thread even switched over about my oil use

Back