2002 Cluster Questions....

ZFreak

Reaction score
I did a little bit of searching, and it yielded me with not much in the way of answers.

I see that the 2002 (Coupes I'm assuming) had a gauge cluster that has grey gauges instead of the black like the rest of our 6th gen accords.

Is the 2002 coupe cluster compatible with say, my 98 sedan's cluster?

2nd question: Does the odometer mileage store in the ECU, or it in the gauge cluster itself? (if I swap to a 2002 cluster, if it is possible of course, will my mileage still say 313,xxx miles?)

Thanks in advance. I'm loving this site, and it's spending a lot of my money for me!!! GREAT forum!

DrOwZee

Reaction score
1. think they are diff
2. the miles stays on the cluster. so if ur gonna swap it out, best find a cluster with the same miles or close to it

1fastj30a1

Reaction score
01-02 coupes had the gray.

The cluster should be a direct swap but don't quote me on that.

:aznrun:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mileage is stored in the cluster itself. I dont think anyone's figured out a way to get around that yet to my knowledge.

inv4zn

Reaction score
Wow, really?

That means anyone can buy a used cluster with lower mileage, and sell it?

Never knew that..

Sorry for hijac btw lol

jgo86x

Reaction score
I have a 99 Accord Sedan w/ a 2002 coupe cluster, I simply swap the gauges by opening the clear cover and the back cover, then pry out the tabs of each gauges, and push the gauges out of the circuit board through the opening between the tabs w/ a screw driver. This allows u to keep ur original mileage since ur using ur original cluster circuit board.

Just make sure u get the correct cluster, like if u have a 4cyl car, make sure u get the 4cyl cluster and 6 cyl car w/ a 6 cyl cluster, cuz they are different physically. The tachometer, speedometer, and gas and temp gauges are all separated into 3 gauges in the 4 cyl model, and the 6 cyl model has them as one unit.

The only problem I encountered was that the coolant temp gauge motor is different from my original gauge (the color of the magnetic coils in the motor are different and one has some kind of resistor while the other doesnt), which caused my coolant temp needle to jump to "H". So I just removed the needles and faces from the gas and coolant temp gauges of both cluster and just swap them, so that I have the face of the coupe cluster, but still using my original gas n temp gauge motors. It just takes a while to get them calibrated correctly.

Another problem I faced was that the coupe cluster only shows two doors rather than 4 doors (obviously). So when I flipped the face of that gauge, I noticed there was two door indicators below the two front doors, but it was painted, so I just used something sharp and scratch the paint off. Now when I open the rear passenger doors, I can see the indicator lights for these doors.

Hope this helps.

ZFreak

Reaction score
Not exactly what I was expecting, but not bad. I'm definately looking into this then! Thanks!

Now, the hard part of FINDING a 01-02 2 door gray cluster.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
You don't like the 01-02 coupe clusters as much as the others? I like them the MOST..

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Another problem I faced was that the coupe cluster only shows two doors rather than 4 doors (obviously). So when I flipped the face of that gauge, I noticed there was two door indicators below the two front doors, but it was painted, so I just used something sharp and scratch the paint off. Now when I open the rear passenger doors, I can see the indicator lights for these doors.

Hope this helps.

That's pretty nifty.

One of my biggest fears about changing out a cluster is getting the needles calibrated correctly and back as they were.

Back