2002 F23a1 4 cyl Sedan SE

Souryu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently had my engine swapped with one that had 73k on it (My other engine had bad compression and was misfiring like totally effing crazy) and my engine held oil extremely well for awhile. I then switched to a 5w-20 synthetic and my engine held that fine too and runs well. I checked my oil a day ago for the first time and I found that after 1300 miles, I had lost a quart of oil.
(But I checked the oil 300 miles before that and it was full)

My oil is still the same color it was when I put it in, and I have no smoke coming out of my tailpipe or anything. I can't see any visible leaks in my oil pan, the plug screw or at my oil filter, so I'm wondering:

Why all of a sudden did I seemingly lose a quart of oil? I drove 100 miles right after I checked it, and checked it after I drove those miles and I haven't lost a drop. Wtf?

james'99

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently had my engine swapped with one that had 73k on it (My other engine had bad compression and was misfiring like totally effing crazy) and my engine held oil extremely well for awhile. I then switched to a 5w-20 synthetic and my engine held that fine too and runs well. I checked my oil a day ago for the first time and I found that after 1300 miles, I had lost a quart of oil.
(But I checked the oil 300 miles before that and it was full)

My oil is still the same color it was when I put it in, and I have no smoke coming out of my tailpipe or anything. I can't see any visible leaks in my oil pan, the plug screw or at my oil filter, so I'm wondering:

Why all of a sudden did I seemingly lose a quart of oil? I drove 100 miles right after I checked it, and checked it after I drove those miles and I haven't lost a drop. Wtf?

It is possible that your PCV valve is sticking open. I would check there first as that is a really inexpensive part. I would go with a Honda one though.

Souryu

Reaction score
It is possible that your PCV valve is sticking open. I would check there first as that is a really inexpensive part. I would go with a Honda one though.

Unfortunately I've already replaced my PCV valve. :l

Souryu

Reaction score
I didn't see that my thread got moved, wow.

Well yeah compression came out well when I had the engine swapped. No issues there. I recently looked by my distributor and underneath it where my heater hose is, and found some oil, though I don't think enough has leaked out for me to lose a quart in 1300 miles.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Seafoam

Add it too the gas, do a couple tanks. You usually have an issue with the oil rings on the pistons. It cleans them up, somehow. After running that let us know how it goes.

Also, I dislike your oil choice. I run Castrol synth, because that is for VW's and a 10k mile oil change! If it's good enough for that, it will be good enough for my ~5k mile changes! And I run 10w40, because the watery thin crap is for MPG. I don't want 'efficency', I want the engine to last forever.

Souryu

Reaction score
Seafoam

Add it too the gas, do a couple tanks. You usually have an issue with the oil rings on the pistons. It cleans them up, somehow. After running that let us know how it goes.

Also, I dislike your oil choice. I run Castrol synth, because that is for VW's and a 10k mile oil change! If it's good enough for that, it will be good enough for my ~5k mile changes! And I run 10w40, because the watery thin crap is for MPG. I don't want 'efficency', I want the engine to last forever.

So wait, I just take a can of seafoam and put it in my gas tank when I fill up? I'll go ahead and try that. Oddly enough, I looked at my dipstick today and I'm only half a quart low and my oil still looks clean as can be.

Which exact castrol synthetic do you run? (What's the exact name? High mileage or no?). Putting 10w40 in my engine kinda scares me, just the prospect of it.

Edit: Also, I always appreciate the input that everyone has when I post my issues on this forum. It really helps me out a lot.

Last edited:

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
So wait, I just take a can of seafoam and put it in my gas tank when I fill up? I'll go ahead and try that. Oddly enough, I looked at my dipstick today and I'm only half a quart low and my oil still looks clean as can be.

Which exact castrol synthetic do you run? (What's the exact name? High mileage or no?). Putting 10w40 in my engine kinda scares me, just the prospect of it.

Edit: Also, I always appreciate the input that everyone has when I post my issues on this forum. It really helps me out a lot.

about 500 miles before your next oil change put 1/3 of the can of Seafoam in the oil and run it until you change the oil.

When I Seafoam a car I do 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line to clear out the carbon in the manifold. You can youtube seafoam engine for instructional vids.

Souryu

Reaction score
about 500 miles before your next oil change put 1/3 of the can of Seafoam in the oil and run it until you change the oil.

When I Seafoam a car I do 1/3 in the gas, 1/3 in the oil and 1/3 through the brake booster vacuum line to clear out the carbon in the manifold. You can youtube seafoam engine for instructional

Oddly enough I talked to my boss about seafoam and he said that he had a fill treatment done on his car and it blew his engine 2 days later.

Should I be taking a chance like this?

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Oddly enough I talked to my boss about seafoam and he said that he had a fill treatment done on his car and it blew his engine 2 days later.

Should I be taking a chance like this?

Ultimately its your decision. I have Seafoamed many cars without issues including all of mine. Some had noticeable differences and some it was negligible.

If you use it correctly there shouldn't be a problem. It very well could have been a pre-existing problem that Seafoam helped him find sooner than later or it was done incorrectly. I've seen problems with people taking the brake booster tube and sucking it straight out of the bottle with it… DON’T DO THIS! You could cause hydrolock, which is unlikely but possible or blow a head gasket from too much pressure from the liquid in the combustion chamber.

Warm the engine up, open the bottle and slowly POUR the seafoam into the brake booster vacuum line, it will rough idle (vacuum leak) you could have someone hold the RPM at around 1500 or so. When you put 1/3 into the manifold reattach the brake booster and shut the car off for about 10-15 min. Come back and it will rough start/idle, rev the crap out of it and it will give you a nice smoke show. When it starts to clear up a little take it for a 20min or so hard drive. This has always worked for me.

I would do some in your oil when the time comes and some in the gas now. If you are really worried you could skip putting it in the intake manifold.

Last edited:
Back