5spd swap clutch spacer

scguy2473

Reaction score
For anyone that has done the 5spd swap to a manual...can you post a pic of what you did for a spacer behind the clutch assembly bracket. I found one thread that had pics once upon a time but it looks like they are no longer on flickr. Thanks....

dv8801

Reaction score
When I took out the pedal assembly for my 5 spd swap. And I looked that the spacer. I'm gonna use 3/4 inch washers for pedal assembly. I'm hoping this will work well

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
I cant remember exact size, but I used 7 galvanized washers(bronze color) from Lowes for each one. They come in packs of 5. I found it easier to wrap in electrical tape to keep them from falling off. Hope this helps.

Geewiz

Reaction score
I just did the swap was driving fine for several weeks and now I think the clutch gave out on me...waiting for a shop to say because too cold for me to do now...was this because I didn't do some spacing to the way the clutch pedal mounts?

scguy2473

Reaction score
If you had no spacer then thats probably why the clutch wore out. Supposedly there are spacers welded into the body on cars that came in 5 speed. I've never seen it...that's just what i've read. Riding around without the spacers after a swap will supposedly cause the clutch to always be partly engaged. Don't take my word on this...this is just what i've read...

Geewiz

Reaction score
If you had no spacer then thats probably why the clutch wore out. Supposedly there are spacers welded into the body on cars that came in 5 speed. I've never seen it...that's just what i've read. Riding around without the spacers after a swap will supposedly cause the clutch to always be partly engaged. Don't take my word on this...this is just what i've read...

Ok, so I need to put spacer washers between the two studs on the inside of the car where the pedal attaches to the firewall?

Geewiz

Reaction score
Ok, feel like an idiot for missing this is the swap thread. Lesson learned!:doh:

PHAT97EX

Reaction score
I used about 7 of the gold-colored ones from Lowes. I think they are the "hardened" type instead of galvanized.I wrapped electrical tape around them to keep em together when installing.

Back