6th gen noob!

toast

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I just picked up a 2000 Accord EX (2.3 Vtec) with 164k that has tranny issues.

When its cold the transmission will not shift out of 1st gear, until till the CEL came on, and the D4 was blinking. It would then go into limp mode-what seemed like 3rd gear, way too weak. If you put the shifter in #1 manually, it would engage (little rough), but you could at least accelerate. About a half mile down the road, you can pull over, turn it off, and restart. The CEL remains (shift malfunction P0780), but the tranny stays out of limp mode. Upshifts/downshifts fine until you go from 2nd to 1st at a stop. Once stopped for half to one and a half second later, there is a significant jolt in the tranny. I assume this is going into actual first gear, if you dont wait for the clunk after a stop, it makes a hell of a racket, until a gear engages roughly.

That was yesterday. Today I drained/refilled the ATF with Amsoil synthetic ATF, and it shifted fine when cold -twice, but you still have to wait for the clunk (although noticeably better now) at a complete stop.

What is this clunk, and is it leading to catastrophic failure?? Im going to drive it for a week and flush the ATF again, but hopefully it will buy me some time! Here are some pics

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_3749.jpg

BTW, what is missing by the shifter??

IMG_3744.jpg

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
na dont flush ur tranny. drain and refill 3 times is good enough. its signs that ur tranny is going soon. =[

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
welcome to the site.

you have an automatic transmission, which means you dont shift it. our cars are known for tranny probs. you are perpetuating those problems by shifting it. sounds like you could have a problem with a seal. get it checked out by a mechanic asap.

the thing missing next to the shift knob is just a little plastic piece. i forget what is called but it really serves no purpose.

btw, if you continue to drive like you are it will lead to "catastrophic failure"

toast

Reaction score
Can someone help me breakdown what the models I have, ie F23A1 or F23A4, and what the model transmission I have? I would like to put a 5 speed in, but not sure all the honda jargon yet!

Thanks!

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
if your motor is ulev then it is the a4. if its just vtec then its a1. forget the 5 speed speed and do the 6 speed cl-s swap dude. plenty of info on the site about it. just use the search feature

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the missing part is were you put your key to disengage the shifter lock mechanism.
Sounds like your tranny is going. Do a few more D&R's with Honda tranny fluid and it could help some.

toast

Reaction score
okay, how do I tell if its a ulev or an a4? As far as swaps go I would like the keep the costs down, 6 speed sounds nice, but expensive. Guess, Ill do some more searching

ActNow

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues but they are inevitable. You should go to an auto parts store and pick up a haynes manual that will help you with just about everything there is about your car.

Back