98 Accord 2.3 vtech 4cyl wont start

jclifford

Reaction score
Three months back we replaced a timing belt. Last week it was real cold outside and it wouldnt start. It acts like the timing is off, but we checked timing marks on the belt today and everything lines up the way it should. The distributor pointed to #1, and we put a timing light on it and it cranks and was right on the mark. Loosened fuel fitting and turned the key on and it sprayed, so we are getting fuel. When its cranking, it hits like it wants to fire and its about outrunning the starter but it just wont start. Installed new spark plugs today as well, just in the case that was the problem. On the new plugs, the spark was blue with a little bit of orange. The valve cover was off and the cam is working good. All the rocker arms were moving correctly. The car is so close to starting but it just wont do it. Timing was the initial concern but everything seems to be in order. The Accord just turned over 200,000 miles. Any ideas on what could be going on with this?

wnt_2b_boosted

Reaction score
you have fuel and spark? yes! i had a similar problem with my cb7 and come to find out it was the ignition switch I had fuel and spark while starting, but not while on.. water in your tank?? maybe pull the main relay and check the cold soldier welds.. Just some of my thoughts..

wnt_2b_boosted

Reaction score
I didn't replace it I just threw in a switch... and yes it did I also pulled my main relay and re soldiered the contacts that looked bad. the way i figured it out was i put my tester on my fuel pump harness and while starting there was 12v but when key was in on position there was no voltage..

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I mean like I said you could rebuild your head but the problem may not lay there. Chances are its going to be bottom end and the motor would have to come out.

Latest posts

Back