98 Accord ex 4 cyl transmission fill bolt ?

harleyd

Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if any of you have ran into an issue like this that has occurred to me. I was going to drain and fill the transmission fluid in my 98 honda accord ex 5 speed, and I was going to undo the fill bolt which if I'm correct specifically calls for a 17mm wrench. I just bought the's new ratcheting wrenches by gear wrench and when I went to use the ratcheting side of the wrench it didn't want to fit over the bolt as if it was too small by a very small amount? Am I using the wrong size or what?

Nurb

Reaction score
Are you sure you are looking at the right bolt? (A is fill, D is drain). The fill bolt should be 17mm, I believe a 3/8 extension fits in the drain plug.
cBDS3DD.png

Last edited:

harleyd

Reaction score
Now that I took pictures and see the diagram I don't think I had the right bolt at all lol. I think all this cold weather up here is getting to me.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
if you look at the picture nurb posted, then you'll see you don't use a socket to get the drain bolt out. you just stick your 3/8th drive socket into it

harleyd

Reaction score
It wasnt the drain bolt that Im having issues with it's the fill bolt.

oops.jpg

Last edited:

harleyd

Reaction score
Here's another picture of the lower bolt and the drain bolt for reference.
DSCN1677.jpg

Nurb

Reaction score
In the second picture the bolt with the square center is the drain plug. In the first picture, that is fill bolt (the bigger one).

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
it should be a 17mm. use a non ratcheting wrench and hit it with a hammer. it'll probably be on there too tight

Nurb

Reaction score
Y962kH0.jpg
'

I think the oil drain plug is 17mm as well if you want to make sure the gear wrench is not made incorrectly. I heard their quality control went down, but hopefully not that bad.

Last edited:

harleyd

Reaction score
Okay thanks for the help, I'll give it a try once it warms up a bit, was -10 degrees outside when I took the picture lol.

Back