98 Accord V6 Transmission Jerking

brava1maw

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that 6th gen Accord's have transmission problems. My dad bought ours new in 98 and he drove it til about 150,000 miles. At about 100,000 the transmission started jerking when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse. Besides that, the transmission has no problems. Since I bought it from him, I have put 50,000 more miles on it and it just broke 200,000 miles. Will the transmission eventually fail or am I in the clear by now?

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
not all transmissions fail, and some last longer than others. your not exactly in the clear, but you are very lucky :lawl:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It's a crapshoot. Keep up with regular maintenance and don't accelerate aggressively from dead stops (basically don't drive like a retard), and it just may last you for a while.

The jerks from the P to R and N to D are normal for these transmissions.

EDIT: Also, if you're going 45 or below on your commute, keep it in D3, not D4. This will keep the tranny from gear hunting, which happens a lot between 40 and 55 if you're in D4.

Last edited:

001Stunna

Reaction score
My recommendation: Take your time going from P-R/R-N/N-D
As in... you start the car in the morning and you're pulling out of your garage, put it in R wait 2-3 seconds and then press the gas pedal. Going forward, shift to N(wait 2-3 seconds), shift to D(2-3seconds) and then press the gas pedal and go about your driving.

I took my car for an oil change once and the mechanic simply threw the shifter from P to D and just went on the gas pedal like he stole it...nearly felt like ***** slapping him.

Also go easy on accelerating until you reach 30-40km/h since the main issues with our trannies is 2nd gear i believe.

AccordUser

Reaction score
Had this problem, check your motor mounts, happened to me around 165000, i ignored it bc i thought it was usual for these cars, and it is...too a point. Then @ 183000 it was almost light i was being hit by another car. lol. ok, heres what you do, open your hood, have someone start your car, then change from P to R to D, and just look @ if the engine moves a lot. You can also do a visual inspections. I just had mine replace, all $983 dollars worth....:furious:

NGP_UA5

Reaction score
Try doing a 3x4. 4 drain and fills of ATF DW1, Should flush out all the old stuff and smoothen things out.

jwong512

Reaction score
I would also highly recommend doing drain and fills with DW-1 as I have tried it in my car and the shifts and definitely smoother and faster. It's also a full synthetic compared to the previous synthetic blend so it should have a higher tolerance to heat which is what causes the transmission failures in our cars. I would also recommend warming up your car for at least 2-3 minutes before driving from a cold start as our transmissions have a tendency to jerk when the car isn't warmed up.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I would also recommend warming up your car for at least 2-3 minutes before driving from a cold start as our transmissions have a tendency to jerk when the car isn't warmed up.

FYI. Your transmission warms up more by driving not by idling in park(where the tranny is disengaged). Your engine is what usually warms up from idling on a cold morning. Hence just because the temp shows just a wee bit above cold mark after 2-3 minutes of idling you should still take it easy on the pedal the first few minutes after taking off.

Last edited:

jwong512

Reaction score
FYI. Your transmission warms up more by driving not by idling in park(where the tranny is disengaged). Your engine is what usually warms up from idling on a cold morning. Hence just because the temp shows just a wee bit above cold mark after 2-3 minutes of idling you should still take it easy on the pedal the first few minutes after taking off.

Yes, I know that is true but the motor is also connected to the tranny which transfers heat when it's warming up. Even though it's not warming up as fast as the motor, it still warms up the transmission non the less. I still do take it easy on the pedal but when I cold start it and just drive off, 3rd gear refuses to engage at lower rpm's. However, once I warm up the car, it will engage 3rd and 4th gear at lower rpm's. Plus, our tranny fluid circulates through the radiator so the radiator would be warmer once the car is warmed up, therefore causing the tranny fluid to warm up to operating temperature.

Back