98 EX-V6 one of Honda's mess ups?

RedAccord02

Reaction score
sorry to hear that dude i felt the same about honda when i purchased my accord. So far haven't had any major problems but my transmission is slipping already and i fear the day it goes kaput, seeing how they are so expensive. i have a 02 with 80k miles never thought i would be savin up money to buy a transmission so early.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
i am highly disappointed with the plastics honda used for these cars...others probably don't care since they never take them on and off.

I somehow managed to crack the plastic piece that is under the glove box on mine when replacing the cabin air filter. Luckily when you put it back in place it stays so tight together that you can't even see that it's cracked right down the middle! I had a Mitsubishi Eclipse for a short time, man was that car junk in EVERY WAY, but the plastics cracked and snapped so easily.

i have a 02 with 80k miles never thought i would be savin up money to buy a transmission so early.

Exactly!

D-Ramey

Reaction score
what goes bad in the tranny's? i just bought a 99 v6 tranny shifts great chirps second gear lol.... grabs hard in every gear i think i might need a rear motor mount tho.... and if its something dumb in the tranny my buddy can get me one rebuilt for about 350 so i hope i never run into this problem...

v6indodarknight

Reaction score
mine get about 22mpg all around...

been through 2 auto trans (1 previous owner, 1 me)
been through towing company once... it just died out on the hwy (electrical prob)
and if i rev too high i smell smoke...

other than that its been good to me :boink:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Like Ryan said, it's a 12 year old used car you do not know the prior history on. There is no other car from 98-02 that you would not have issues with, I guarantee it. I can see what you're saying about being disappointed the car had any issues to begin with, but that's not really a realistic view to have. Brand new cars being made today still have issues manufacturers are having to iron out. I'm sure Toyota owners are saying some of the same things you are, and I'd be willing to bet they'd kill to have a dead fuel sending unit or ignition problem rather than a faulty pedal assembly on their Camry or a faulty brake assembly on their Prius.

The only thing I'd say Honda really dropped the ball on was not only the lack of a solid auto trans, but offering a manual for the V6. W. T. F.

I will say though, the fact that the coupes are drop dead gorgeous (imo) allows me to overlook some of the obvious faults these cars have.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Our V6 runs about 18-21mpg in short trips around town rising to near 30 on long freeway drones up I5 in CA.

I have been surprised at the items that have failed on the car which has done 90K since we bought it new. Motor mounts, alternator, window winders, battery cable connections. The A/C (cabin) fan slows down at times, which I have never investigated. The rear brake pads wear out fast (30K) as they are so small.

On the plus side, the tranny still works like new and thanks to living in Phoenix there is no rust anywhere.

I am currently testing 2 scions, both Xb's '06 & '09. No issues at all on these even though they are supposed to have windscreens that crack and fall out, waterpumps that leave a pink line. Although with the '09, I did wind the oil filter adapter out so it would have 4 threads to hang on instead of 1 1/2

Moral: sometimes you can get a falsely bad impression by reading on-line forums, sometimes it pays off. For example, i was thinking of getting my daughter a Kia Soul for college, but after reading the forums of never ending problems... I think I will leave that alone for now as the types of issues did not seem to be "user related" and Kia wasn't standing behind their warrantee.

The Honda, I guess it's a keeper - much better than the chryslers we had previously owned.

StuCoupe

Reaction score
Maybe its the cold canadian weather, but my 98 ex v6 just rolled over 300,000 km this week. Original tranny and it still shifts smooth.

However, I bought my Honda from the original owner with impeccable service records. Only thing I have replaced is wheel bearings.

Sounds like the previous owners of your accord didn't take very good care of it.

Latest posts

Back